Sign in to follow this  
MAcoleo

Cannibalism in Lucanus?

Hello,

When my L. elaphus were L1 and L2, I'd notice that sometimes larvae would just disappear when kept together, and it was almost always the smallest ones. I have never noticed cannibalism with Dynastes tityus or granti. Anyone can corroborate this?

Thanks!

From Mcmonigle's Ult Guide: Lucanus grubs cannibalize or bite each other when resources are in short supply

Hi, I remember reading that. Mine were cannibalizing each other even when resources were not in short supply, so I had to separate them.

How large were the containers? And what kind of substrate was it? I have almost 100 grubs in a 16(?) gallon tub and have had only a few deaths or injuries, and the grubs are mostly L3. The substrate is 100% rotten oak, with some wood chunks buried in it.

Hi, I remember reading that. Mine were cannibalizing each other even when resources were not in short supply, so I had to separate them.

McMonigle recommends separating all elaphus L3s, because they are "easily overcrowded", which possibly suggests that lack of space may be problematic even with plenty of food.

I put 3 LEs (L3) in each half gallon jars. Never had any problems.

LE larvae is very weak in early stages, its normal for a few of them to die/disappear even kept separately.