Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ratmosphere

Burnt plastic exposure

Recommended Posts

Alright so Thursday of last week I was heating thumbtacks to add air holes in deli cup tops for my beetle larvae. I had a mask on and was doing this in the garage, almost outside. I did this for about 30 minutes. When I got up, everything was different. It felt like I was stoned out of my mind and I had shortness of breath. I thought it would go away the next day so I slept it off. I got up and still felt the same. However, I made it through work and made it home. When I got home it got worse, I felt high as hell. This is when I decided to go to the hospital.

I was checked and everything was fine. They even called poison control to see if it was a problem and they said it was nothing to worry about. The doctor said I could have came down with something, but I highly doubt that. Everything was fine leading up to that Thursday. It is now Friday and I still feel the effects of what happened; it has not gotten better at all. I tried using CBD products to see if it would help but it did nothing. I also took a Xanax to see if it would help but it did nothing. I just hope I'm not stuck like this forever because it really sucks. I feel like I'm living in a dream, I have no concept of time or anything. I could barley think for myself. It's a nightmare.

 

I did this procedure numerous times but not as long as I did this run. I am paying for it, not only in medical bills but my mind is at risk. My family is worried for my health, I am worried about my job because I can't even perform how I use to. I can't even work out like I use to daily. No energy at all either. Also, I'm super sensitive to sound and light. This is just the worst thing that happened in my life. My symptoms are almost the same as prolonged carbon monoxide exposure, when you burn plastics you can produce CO, CO2, HCI, etc. You could read more about that here.

 

http://www.carbon-monoxide-survivor.com/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-delayed-symptoms-and-effects.html

 

I was always taught to use a hot pin to make air holes so this is what I knew since I started the hobby. Now, due to my mistake, I am paying for it. Please do not make the mistake I did, this is very scary and I would not wish this upon my worst enemy. Thank you for listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been taught that many plastics can release extremely toxic compounds when burnt--some are worse than others depending on what type of plastic they're composed of. Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and hydrochloric acid should not be an issue if there is ventilation and if it's just small holes being burnt. Some of the other chemicals you can get from burning plastic are things like dioxins, that can cause long-term issues even in small amounts.

 

I poke holes without heat by using sharp implements like fine forceps and that has worked well for me. In the case of thicker plastic, I use a blade from scissors and slowly twist to enlarge holes initially made by something sharper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I was in a semi well ventilated area, and you think those won't be an issue, why would dioxins be an issue? They were Polypropylene lids. Usually dioxides are found in PVC plastics. I think some of them were Polyethylene too. My symptoms don't match to dioxin exposure. Is there any studies of the symptoms from exposure to it you can link me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You said it made you feel high and clearly thats part of whats making you feel all of those symptoms. I dont think its a good ideas to use cannabis products and Xanax considering those are both medications that people will use to feel high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt high as hell after I inhaled the plastic, no substances were taken before that. I tried it to see if it would take the edge off, but it did not. The hospital said it was anxiety so I said why not try it and see what happens; it did not work though. Also, CBD does not get you high. I have flowers with less than 0.43% THC and 7% CBD, it's mostly for anti-inflammatory/sleep purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I was not suggesting dioxin poisoning, just giving an example of one of the nasty things released by burning plastics. I have no idea what you may have been exposed to, but even though it is listed as Polypropylene, you never know what other additives may have been included to make the lids or what residues may have been incorporated if it's made from recycled plastics.

 

Burning Polypropylene itself releases Benzene. Among many possible additives are Phthalates which are used to make plastics more flexible and transparent. Phthalates are known to be antagonists to some receptors--such as those for cannabinoid compounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really sucks, it does not get better. Do you think consumption of cannabis products with high THC would help re-build these receptors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×