Road Trip From Florida to Georgia and Back

9-Volt

Just got back home from a 7 hour drive to and from northwestern Georgia. I was very excited to find some cool insects. It wasn't exactly a vacation though, so we didn't have a whole lot of free time to go out to some nice parks.

As a new beetle enthusiast, my top priority was looking for adults and larvae, especially Dynastes tityus. There was a beautiful park very close to our hotel which is where I chose to search. I only had a few hours to look daily for the past three days, though. I was so happy to see loads of broad-leaved trees, something of a rarity in south Florida. I found quite a few old rotten logs and stumps and dug through them carefully, but I didn't find very much. I also searched tree cavities, the supposed hot spot for D. tityus. I didn't have the tools to dig through tougher parts of wood, unfortunately. I found a few earwigs and what appeared to be "molts," and various other insect parts, slugs, a toad, earthworms, and many tiny "mite" insects. The biggest excitement-killer was finding a long-dead female stag, or what appeared to be a stag, reminded me of some sort of Bess beetle, she was very shiny and black. Having found no adults or larvae, I collected loads of super rotten oak/beech wood and rotted hardwood leaves.

It was only yesterday morning when a beetle was hovering low over the pavement and I quickly jumped to catch her. I'm convinced she's just a June beetle, but I put her in a container and gave her some nice dirt from an old stump and an old banana slice to munch on, which she loves! I did see other beetles flying about but they moved too quickly to be caught. Later that night, I also tried to look for adults near bright lights at gas stations and rest stops on the highway but to no avail. And that sums up my trip to Georgia.

post-8331-0-31918800-1458362119_thumb.jpg

post-8331-0-86876600-1458362120_thumb.jpg