algodones dunes trip

Garin

Took a quick one day trip to the Algodones dunes in California. It was a fun trip and our first time there.

Couldn't find any Megasoma sleeperi on the palo verde trees and we looked high and low but 1 did come into the black light setup.

Does anyone know where you are supposed to find Megasoma sleeperi on the pv trees? Is it on the trunk like Megasoma punctulatus or is it on the branches? Of course we looked on both but knowing in the future would make things more efficient. Or maybe it's just a rumor and they are never on the trees, haha.

Thanks,

Garin

post-4886-0-64597100-1442260971_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-60181100-1442260980_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-15417600-1442260999_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-13970300-1442261056_thumb.jpg

Those Megasoma sleeperi look a lot like strategus cessus. How can you tell the difference besides cessus being in Arizona?

Oak: Yes, unfortunately we killed the sleeperi. This was the first two that I ever collected so I wanted it for my collection and I was afraid that if I kept it alive that it would get damaged and I would not have a good specimen ever in my collection. We plan on going back, so any catches in the future, I will definitely keep alive and try to breed, etc. It seems like a really fascinating species to survive in such a harsh environment. It's so dry and dead out there.

Philipee: Yes, it does look similar S cessus. I did have it ID'd by a couple of beetle guys who know the species very well and they confirmed that both are sleeperi. Maybe one of the beetle experts here can better explain the differences.

OMG SLEEPERI! Congratulations on your finding!

A saw an image posted by a FB friend who had M. sleeperi on branches of palo verde tree so I assume they prefer feeding on branches rather than on trunks (probably because branches have softer bark compare to trunks).

Hope you can find a bunch and sell a live pair to hobbyist! Would really love to see these become available in the hobby :)

On a side note, S. cessus does not occur in Algodones dunes if I remember correctly.

OMG SLEEPERI! Congratulations on your finding!

A saw an image posted by a FB friend who had M. sleeperi on branches of palo verde tree so I assume they prefer feeding on branches rather than on trunks (probably because branches have softer bark compare to trunks).

Hope you can find a bunch and sell a live pair to hobbyist! Would really love to see these become available in the hobby :)

On a side note, S. cessus does not occur in Algodones dunes if I remember correctly.

Thanks Lucanus and also thanks for the tip regarding the branches, you are probably right.

Yes, it would be nice to see these become available in the hobby. I will do my best but I was talking to a local collector down there and he told me that he has been looking for 3 years and has yet to see one until he saw the one I caught. He was shocked that I had two. Beginner's luck I guess because I am definitely not a pro. I will do my best and keep you posted. I am going to try to go back in a couple of weeks.

And yes, I believe you are correct that S. cessus does not occur in the Algodones dunes.

What species are the longhorns?

By that 2nd photo, the dunes look beautiful!

A friend of mine identified the longhorn beetle (prionid) as Nothopleurus lobigenis. My sister found them on a Palo Verde tree. No Megasoma on the trees for us but at least we found that.

Yes, the dunes are beautiful and great sunsets. My son had a blast rolling down the dunes. Definitely worth a visit but just be careful because there are a lot of scorpions and rattle snakes and of course very hot and dry, so bring lots and lots of water. Also, really easy to get stuck in the sand, so don't go too far off the road unless you have a four wheel drive, etc.