Greetings & questions

Holly

Hello to all, this is my first post. I've been trying to find out more about keeping insect in general and after looking at tons of images have found that beetles are among the most interesting. I must admit that I know almost nothing at this point but look forward to learning much from this forum (which I simply stumbled upon from a web search). I currently keep dart frogs and geckos, culturing fruit flies, springtails, isopods and crickets (well trying just started with these). Anyway one question I can't seem to find any good answers for is this; is there any sort of list of species I can leagally aquire and keep here in California. Another question that comes quickly on the heels of that one is; Are there any good sources of beetles some one could direct me to? And I guess lastly (for now) are there any beetles that can handle extreamly high levels of humidity? I was thinking of something like megasoma acteon?

thanks,

Holly

Hello Holly,

One spectacular rhino beetle native only to California is Megasoma sleeperi, unfortunately it is very rare. Otherwise Phileurus may be acquireable and Strategus aloeus is a common beetle. Rhinos are generally kept only with high humidity, minimal ventilation. The popular, pet, native rhinos are in the genus Dynastes but neither are found in California.

Welcome, Holly!

California is also plentiful in darkling beetles (tenebrionidae). These are among the east pet bugs to keep and long lived. They are very active beetles and fun to watch.

I just had the pleasure of collecting two great species of tenebrionids from the Algodones Dunes area of SE California.

There aren't too many beetle hobbyists in the US, but California is one of the best states for collecting them. Maybe you can bring a lot to the hobby through your experiences.

Thank you for such quick replies, it sounds like I should be able to find some interesting creatures. I'll have to start researching the ones you both mentioned. As for the darklings I do see thoose all the time in my backyard but never considered them much. (The ones I seem to see all the time are the ones that are all black, and yes I realise how vague that sounds but like I said I'd never considered them very closely). As for the rhinos Orin, I am most interested. I'll certainly be looking into the species you mentioned.

ttfn