Sign in to follow this  
Hypsibius

Beginner mantids

I'm thinking of getting a mantis at some point this summer. I'd just like to know if any of you guys know any species that are particularly good for beginners? I've heard Sphodromantis aurea and Hierodula membranacea are good species. Do you guys have any experience with them?

I have Sphodromantis viridis. He bites sometimes, but seems hardy and easy to feed. I also have two Creobroter pictipennis. They are a little skittish, but don't mind being handled. They do jump, though, so you have to be careful. I heard Phyllocrania paradoxa (ghost mantids) are good beginner mantids, and also shield mantids. Shields are a little more expensive, but get big, and live a little longer than the average year.

Ah, I see. Well, I'd be willing to put up with that, as I think mantids are beautiful insects. At the moment I'm considering a number of different arthropods to keep. If I do get a mantis, I think it will probably be a Congo Green mantis, as I've heard they can be hardy. Thanks for the help guys.

Thought I'd post here rather than make a new thread-I'm still considering a mantis but I'm just wondering if there are any other invertebrates that you guys would recommend for beginners? I've heard cockroaches are easy to care for, I've apparently heard some millipedes aren't too difficult either (though I am a little skeptical of that) I'm just wondering if there are any others you guys know would be good.