Caught a tiny jumping spider and not sure where to put him

Trailblazr80

put him in a container that is taller than it is wide, they prefer to climb up the sides of a cage than to crawl on the cage floor. no substrate is needed. for water, mist the cage. feed him fruit flys or other small bugs, maybe pinhead crickets? hope this helps!

Thanks- I put him in a 1 gallon water bottle ( more like a 2 liter shape than like the Sparkletts bottles with handles ) and I cut a small square out of the side and taped a piece of window screen over it for ventilation. I put a wadded up paper towel and cardboard roll inside for a "hide." I'll have to figure out how to catch the fruit flies in my bess beetle tank and feed them to the spider!

I keep a small jumping spider and he does great on small crickets, a little smaller than him. He eats maybe 4 a week and I mist 1x a week on the side of the 32 oz deli container, they don't need much ventilation either. I tried the black flys and they were too small or quick.

Thanks. I'm thinking the 1 gallon container I put him in may be too big. I tried throwing a fruit fly in there and it just went straight to the body. I also don't see any web. I'll try a pinhead today but I'm afraid it will just fall straight to the bottom of the bottle.

You should move the spider to a smaller container before you feed it and put in 2 crickets, the 32 oz deli container is good because it is cheap and clear. Also they build their nest high where the lid meets the sides, so in order not to disturb their nest and make it easy to clean, I modified the container by cutting off the bottom 3 inches of the container then cutting another bottom off another deli container 5 inches off the bottom then I slide the spider container with the bottom cut off into the 5 inch bottom snug.

So I switched him out to a smaller container, about 33 oz, and cut out some small windows in the side with the window screen taped over it. I added some fake leaves, twigs, and a piece of wadded up paper towel. I didn't do anything with the lid yet even though I figure he probably will end up by the lid. Right now he is hiding within the paper towel. I put a small flightless fruit fly in there for now. I looked at some of the pinhead crickets and they seemed big compared to him. I'll see if he takes this fly. So here is my dollar store concoction:

att_1398224832158195_zps880f423f.jpeg

att_13982248219831921_zpse34b15c0.jpeg

att_1398224827115147_zpsdda65547.jpeg