Isopods

Lucanus

I'm not sure on the actual status. When I was young I could easily find them in the garden by lifting up cinder blocks and large rocks. But I don't really see them much anymore. They were some of my favorite bugs to collect when I was little.

I'm not sure on the actual status. When I was young I could easily find them in the garden by lifting up cinder blocks and large rocks. But I don't really see them much anymore. They were some of my favorite bugs to collect when I was little.

That's sad to hear. These seem to be very hardy and are usually everywhere in the places where I live so something must be going on in your area to make them decline :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've been collecting A. vulgare in my back yard by the dozen the past few days. Definitely one of my childhood favorites!

Cool little buggers! I don't find these as often as I did when I was younger.

That's sad that you don't see them as much, maybe the soil quality is sub par. :unsure:

I, personally, have not seen as many sowbugs as I did as a child; I've only caught 2 or maybe 3 in my garden, compared to the dozens of Armadillidium I uncover.

I will post pics soon.

My A. vulgare are not nearly as gorgeous as the ones you are finding Lucanus! Guess I gotta come out your way!!! :)

I was excited to see this post so I went and caught some to show. :)

Thanks Lucanus!

A single Porcellio sp. I found :mellow:

post-7775-0-02081500-1397145439_thumb.jpg

A. vulgare

post-7775-0-28206900-1397145425_thumb.jpg

post-7775-0-46051400-1397145518_thumb.jpg

post-7775-0-15898600-1397145533_thumb.jpg

1 of possibly 2 Philoscia sp. (I think?) that I had found a few days ago. My other is way small and may even be a Porcellio (it's not pictured), but this guy was FAST, and was among the leaf litter in my garden. I didn't get a good shot when I found him, so I took this as an opportunity for a photo shoot. :)

post-7775-0-90940800-1397145756_thumb.jpg

post-7775-0-26390600-1397145769_thumb.jpg