Import vs. Domestic

I need an opinion or two...

Is it wrong to import a species into the U.S. to breed rather than sticking with domestic?

I mean, I don't want to do anything that would impact our ecosystem, but man what an exciting thought when you see all the different species being offered out there (like in Taiwan).

I'm going to stick with domestics regardless of course, but dare I branch out onto something exotic? Is my insane love of beetles out weighing my good sense?

Any opinion, yay or nay, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I really believe that we need more variety of insects in our hobby to increase popularity of it so importing insects from other countries would be favorable to me. However, US law prevents us from importing and keeping exotics that haven't been approved by them :(

That seems to be what my research turns up too. I'm wanting to start up my own little pet beetle business (please believe it's for the love of the beetles, not the money)...do you (or anyone else viewing, but I'll probably start up a separate topic) know ANYTHING about laws pertaining to selling pet insects? I'm in NJ if that helps (or hurts lol).

That seems to be what my research turns up too. I'm wanting to start up my own little pet beetle business (please believe it's for the love of the beetles, not the money)...do you (or anyone else viewing, but I'll probably start up a separate topic) know ANYTHING about laws pertaining to selling pet insects? I'm in NJ if that helps (or hurts lol).

You have a same dream as me! I want to make a large scale industry selling various beetle products like the ones in Asian countries along with insect farms to make insect breeding hobby popular in the US :)

I would check with your local agricultural departments regarding laws about selling pet insects in your state. Technically, you aren't allowed to ship insects from states to states, but nobody enforces that law so people do it all the time. lol

And as long as you aren't selling exotics, selling insects won't hurt you :)

That's kind of what I figured. I looked into NJ fish & wildlife permits...I can tell you that I can't breed monkeys and lions (DUH!!!) and crocodiles and vipers...la la la...not a mention of insects (don't even think I saw arachnids on there which is weird).

I'll definitely check department of agriculture.

Thanks!

That's kind of what I figured. I looked into NJ fish & wildlife permits...I can tell you that I can't breed monkeys and lions (DUH!!!) and crocodiles and vipers...la la la...not a mention of insects (don't even think I saw arachnids on there which is weird).

LOL That's hilarious!

Usually, insects native to your states are fine to keep so D. tityus and Osmoderma eremicola will be great candidates as your pets :)

When I spoke to someone before I about Dynastidae they told me the issue what the fear of them eating living plant material.

I was told that species such as Lucanus elaphus (and likely most other native Lucanidae) could be shipped across state lines since there was not fear of that same issue.

When I spoke to someone before I about Dynastidae they told me the issue what the fear of them eating living plant material.

I was told that species such as Lucanus elaphus (and likely most other native Lucanidae) could be shipped across state lines since there was not fear of that same issue.

Very helpful!

Thanks!

If you're planning on doing it on a commercial scale you really have to do your research. Not only for your state but also all the other states because you have to know if they can legally accept certain beetle species native or exotic. I've not found this law but also heard that it is illegal ship Dynastes and Lucanus across state line. (Again this is only what I've heard and not confirmed.) Even many people who work for the state don't know the laws. You could call the Fish and Game department and they'll tell you that you can't even import tarantulas and scorpions! I really think that the reason the Beetle hobby is so small in the US is not because of interest but because of the laws that prevent other species from being imported. Just look at the arachnid hobby as an example when the laws allow many more species to be brought in.

The USDA/FWS does not allow shipment of 'potential plant pests' - which covers almost everything that we would want to keep or sell (including US Lucanus). Keeping OR shipping exotics that are considered 'potential plant pests' - without a permit - is not permitted.

You can keep AND ship insects found in your state, but the person receiving the shipment is supposed to have a permit.. if they live in a different state. It is not up to the shipper to insure that the recipient has the required permits, with the species being shipped on the permit. And yes, a permit is needed even if the species being shipped is also found in the state they are being shipped to.

NO - I don't agree that beetles, like (most) Dynastinae would pose any kind of threat, I'm just stating what the rules are, and yes I have heard of this being enforced before, albeit not very often.

Breakdown:

• Keeping natives to your state = OK
  • Shipping natives to another state = OK - recipient needs permit
  • Keeping exotics = NOT OK without permit
  • Shipping exotics = NOT OK without permit

Current exceptions (for beetles):

• Dung beetles
  • Insectivores, like Carabidae
  • Bess beetles are now ok to ship last time I checked, but for a while they did need permits

I have checked this several times with both the USDA and friends that work at zoos that exhibit exotics. I reconfirmed with the USDA just last week

The USDA/FWS does not allow shipment of 'potential plant pests' - which covers almost everything that we would want to keep or sell (including US Lucanus). Keeping OR shipping exotics that are considered 'potential plant pests' - without a permit - is not permitted.

You can keep AND ship insects found in your state, but the person receiving the shipment is supposed to have a permit.. if they live in a different state. It is not up to the shipper to insure that the recipient has the required permits, with the species being shipped on the permit. And yes, a permit is needed even if the species being shipped is also found in the state they are being shipped to.

NO - I don't agree that beetles, like (most) Dynastinae would pose any kind of threat, I'm just stating what the rules are, and yes I have heard of this being enforced before, albeit not very often.

Breakdown:

• Dung beetles
  • Bess beetles are now ok to ship last time I checked, but for a while they did need permits

I have checked this several times with both the USDA and friends that work at zoos that exhibit exotics. I reconfirmed with the USDA just last week

That's really good to know. I never thought about contacting the USDA and local zoos. When I went to Santiago, Chile years ago they had an amazing insect exhibit with lots of large beetles. Doing something like this would definitely motivate more people to participate in the hobby.

It is frustrating, in Japan (and many other countries) they can import and keep just about anything.

Here I guess agriculture has much more pull than hobbyists do.. they can point to things like the 'Indian stick insect' that is causing lots of trouble in California though...

It is frustrating, in Japan (and many other countries) they can import and keep just about anything.

Here I guess agriculture has much more pull than hobbyists do.. they can point to things like the 'Indian stick insect' that is causing lots of trouble in California though...

True that. I got into keeping beetles when I lived in Japan; it was fantastic having such a variety of species being so readily available. It really is a shame that exceptions aren't made here for certain beetles that don't pose a threat to crops, such as the Dorcus and Dynastes genera. I'd love to have a pet Dorcus alcides or Dynastes hercules again someday. I shan't be holding my breath on that front, though.

Breakdown:

• Dung beetles

Very helpful indeed, so glad I'd opened this topic, thanks... And I'm really less interested (commercially, of course) in exotics...I'd hate to be the guy bringing the Snake Head stigma to the hobby.

I guess pictures will have to do until the laws change :(

How does one get a permit?

i talked to my local bug zoo dude and he said one way is to make a museum... and after that you will get a permit to import bugs :)

he said its hard... and you cant sell your imported bugs to public