New Year beetle goal.

LarvaHunter

My goals are to successfully maintain my dusky sap beetle colony, obtain and rear a few click beetles, and rear some rhino beetles, stag beetles, or flower beetles.

My goal is to keep my cultures going, this will be year 19 for Dynastes tityus and I've got a few others between 14-17. You would think that with time they'd always get easier and easier but there are so many variables. Also I make foolish mistakes from being lazy and not heat treating certain substrates whose affects may not be fully felt till a year or two later, or am confounded by other issues I can't explain because the background information would take me far too long to plot out. Of course to watch them develop and the different horn structures, base colors, spotting patterns, and sizes each generation is the real reward while attempting to breed for a specific look is difficult since it's hard to say what it will be in future generations.

My goals are to begin building a collection of buprestids to try to determine diversity in Illinois, successfully rear out and start breeding my A. dichotoma and G. caseyi, and do some traveling around the Midwest to collect as much as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to keep beetles again (after 15+ years of not keeping any) and try breeding something easy.

Also, I want to (finally, after about 3 years) write about my Japanese beetle store visit, for this website and for an Elytra and Antenna magazine article. It was such an amazing experience (Japan itself and the beetle store)!