Oak tree autopsy!

LarvaHunter

In my area the old trees are attacked by long-horned and jewel beetles, as well as squirrels and woodpeckers. Bark beetles are also a problem in some localities here. They make many holes and cavities inside the tree, damaging its structural support and flow of nutrients. Then in the winter the trees freeze and collapse in the strong wind from the weight of the ice. Once they are on the ground, more beetles, woodlice, millipedes and fungi join the party.

I think the dead trees in my area are attacked by the all the creatures Wizentrop mentioned. I was noticing many holes that looked like woodpecker and beetles made them.

Interesting, I wasn't thinking about different areas, I didn't think of ice and tornados, here in Florida we get hurricanes sometimes. These dead trees are important for certain beetles life cycle when dead, and I was looking to see if there is a symbiotic relationship between the so called pest beetles that kill the trees and the beetles that need the dead trees for their reproductive cycle. Without dead trees what would the beetles do?

I think the dead trees in my area are attacked by the all the creatures Wizentrop mentioned. I was noticing many holes that looked like woodpecker and beetles made them.

Interesting, I wasn't thinking about different areas, I didn't think of ice and tornados, here in Florida we get hurricanes sometimes. These dead trees are important for certain beetles life cycle when dead, and I was looking to see if there is a symbiotic relationship between the so called pest beetles that kill the trees and the beetles that need the dead trees for their reproductive cycle. Without dead trees what would the beetles do?

Tornadoes and wind for the most part around here. Occasional ice storm makes it interesting. I'm on the western edge of the emerald ash borer and gypsy moth expansion, so those invasive species will start taking their toll sometime in the next couple years I'm sure.

Many of these trees are important hosts for beetles while alive, as well as being important for a whole host of different insects and other arthropods. Stressed trees also provide ideal habitats for certain beetles (buprestids and cerambycids for sure, and there other beetle families as well). The problem with many of those wood borers (both native and non-native) is that they really like to oviposit in trees that are stressed due to drought or other reasons. People cutting down trees for lumber or just overall expansion probably doesn't help either since it's completely eliminating what could have been prime grounds for a beetle species. There have been several studies along that line with tiger beetles and how expansion of grazing lands for cattle has had a large affect on suitable habitats for tiger beetles.

Without dead trees, the beetles will suffer and a major change in range will undoubtedly occur, along with a decrease in populations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...