Sign in to follow this  
Jncxity

Grub ID Needed

I found these in a garden bed. I'm thinking they are just june bug grubs, but I thought I'd see if anyone could tell me for sure.

RandomGrubs2_zpsddf06543.jpg

RandomGrubs3_zpsdc40c3e3.jpg

RandomGrubs1_zps45e9dde4.jpg

it is are to say, it might be a smaller beetle that looks like a lot others…does it crawl on its back? off it does then it might be cotinis

They wiggle a little on their backs some, but I'm not sure if they are just trying to flip over or are actually "crawling" that way. I'm mostly interested in rhino beetles. They would be much bigger by this time of year wouldn't they?

the head capsule looks like a stag beetles…might be a small stag beetle, or just some l2 lucanus or pseudolucanus. The beetles look ver hairy though so its most likely cotinis

It is either Rutelinae or Melolonthinae. You can tell by looking at their anus shape and head capsule.

AND they aren't Cotinis nitida.

WHY do they have black legs? because my stag beetles suddenly got those same black legs!!! help me someone :o

If they are June bug larvae (which they look like), i'd consider buying them off you :)

The two larvae you found look like click beetle larvae and longhorn, but I could be wrong.

The 3rd type of beetle shown is chlaenius sp.

I agree with a. Ojala the first larva is a click beetle.

The first beetle looks like a dung beetle, but I'm not sure. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies. After some searching, I think the 2 white things are horsefly larvae. I'm pretty sure the wireworms are eyed click beetles. I haven't been able to identify the black beetles. I don't think they are dung beetles. They don't have the scoop shaped heads.

I found these 2 beetles earlier today under some wood.

Beetle1_zpsf64a5936.jpg

Thanks for the replies. After some searching, I think the 2 white things are horsefly larvae. I'm pretty sure the wireworms are eyed click beetles. I haven't been able to identify the black beetles. I don't think they are dung beetles. They don't have the scoop shaped heads.

I found these 2 beetles earlier today under some wood.

Beetle1_zpsf64a5936.jpg

The first beetle in the previous comment was Geotrupes sp.

Second one is probably Eutheola humilis

The ground beetles you have in the pic might be Harpalus sp.

Eyed click beetle larvae do not look like that, they do not look like wireworms. I'd guess Japanese beetles on the scarab grubs but it could be a small brown May beetle.

These two black ground beetles are harpalus penslyvanicus. Hope this helps!

The other larvae (not beetle) aren't horsefly larvae. Horsefly larvae are typically aquatic, though I believe some can be found in manure as well. If you just dug them out of soil, then they are from some other family, though it could still be a fly of some sort.

Thank again for the replies. They've helped a bunch. I did find the other larvae just in dirt, but I read that horsefly larvae is sometimes layed in moist dirt. I'm not sure though. If they make it, I'll update with what they turn into.

Again, typically aquatic, but flies are so crazy and diverse with what they do that it wouldn't surprise me that they could do well in moist dirt :) The segmentation also doesn't look quite right for tabanids, since they look almost armored (https://www.google.com/search?q=tabanid+larvae&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=w3irUoySDsiMqwGTj4H4Aw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=674), but a smooth one like that wouldn't be a shocker. Good luck rearing them out!