Any roach fans out here? lol

Lucanus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one from Florida: Arenivaga floridensis , Florida Sand Roach. This specimen was collected in Highlands County, FL. They live in loose sand in the sandhill scrub habitat (see photo below) along Florida's ancient sand ridges. Also found an adult male but it died before I could get it home. They are somewhat difficult to locate but I hope to get more for future breeding.

Arenivaga floridensis

Afloridensis4_zps1c222747.jpg

Afloridensis1_zps78d8bd0b.jpg

Afloridensis2_zps2540637d.jpg

Afloridensis3_zpsf0b7e6a0.jpg

Afloridensis5_zps801f566e.jpghabitat3_zpsb9fada75.jpg

Here's one from Florida: Arenivaga floridensis , Florida Sand Roach. This specimen was collected in Highlands County, FL. They live in loose sand in the sandhill scrub habitat (see photo below) along Florida's ancient sand ridges. Also found an adult male but it died before I could get it home. They are somewhat difficult to locate but I hope to get more for future breeding.

Arenivaga floridensis

Afloridensis4_zps1c222747.jpg

Afloridensis1_zps78d8bd0b.jpg

Afloridensis2_zps2540637d.jpg

Afloridensis3_zpsf0b7e6a0.jpg

Afloridensis5_zps801f566e.jpghabitat3_zpsb9fada75.jpg

Wow those are really cool!!!

Love all the photos!

I used to have a decent variety of roaches, but now I'm down to 4 hissers (+ a few nymphs) and a lone dubia that lives with them.

I often think about picking up all the hisser types and species (like I used to have) and a few other "high end" roaches, but for the moment I'm just going to stick with my 5 adult roaches. I have too many pets as it is.

Keep posting those photos!

Love all the photos!

I used to have a decent variety of roaches, but now I'm down to 4 hissers (+ a few nymphs) and a lone dubia that lives with them.

I often think about picking up all the hisser types and species (like I used to have) and a few other "high end" roaches, but for the moment I'm just going to stick with my 5 adult roaches. I have too many pets as it is.

Keep posting those photos!

One can never have too many roaches :P Unless of course none of them are in cages :lol:

Kyle has some tonkawa available on his website, but be very cautious as these are really hard to keep.

Really? How so?

Oh, ok. For some reason I always thought they were easy to keep.

That's exactly what I thought until people started telling me how hard it is to keep just enough moisture level to not kill them :P

Wouldn't it be best to keep it on the dry side? Thats what I've been doing, plus carrot slices help keep the humidity perfect and they might eat them.

I notice my A. Floridensis like to make cool distinct sounds. And they aren't shy and don't mind the light.

I use carrots in my cigar box as a humidifier, it works very well.

Does anyone know the exact moisture level of the substrate that is best for this species?

Wouldn't it be best to keep it on the dry side? Thats what I've been doing, plus carrot slices help keep the humidity perfect and they might eat them.

I notice my A. Floridensis like to make cool distinct sounds. And they aren't shy and don't mind the light.

I use carrots in my cigar box as a humidifier, it works very well.

Does anyone know the exact moisture level of the substrate that is best for this species?

Yep, it's best to keep them on dry side, but the ootheca needs some moisture to hatch (too much can kill them of course) so that seems to be another obstacle for many breeders.