Beetle Id

a.ojala

Found in northern ca, there about 1/4 of an inch. Bright red abdomen with tiny black wings. Black legs and black antennas. Oh and the abdomen appears to be roundish. I cought ten of them, any idea of what I should feed them, fruit, tiny bugs, plant matter, suger water? Going to post a pic in a hour or so, when I get home. But any ideas in the mean time?

sorry the pictures are kinda blurry, but these little guys are really fast and wont hold still :(

this is the best pic i can take, they just wont stop moving :(

post-4895-0-59901400-1352084364_thumb.jpg

post-4895-0-45077900-1352084380_thumb.jpg

post-4895-0-78108800-1352090279_thumb.jpg

I would try feeding them fruits, boxelder bugs and other true insects like leaf footed bugs and stink bugs will readily eat fruits for me :)

what type of fruits apples, melons, or will anything do?

what type of fruits apples, melons, or will anything do?

Yep, they like apples but will probably eat anything.

They could be assassin bugs, maybe try seeing what they do with a stunned/killed cricket?

They aren't assassin bugs, but they do suck up plant juices through a tube. Apple might not be wet enough, but then maple seeds don't seem too wet either unless they know how to tap a vein while they're feeding or something. Melon seems a great suggestion.

what about strawberry, banana, or something else that has some moisture to it along with the melons?