Zophobas morio ”Superworm”

Gerris2

I was delighted to see a prepupa and several pupae in my Zophobas morio colony. In order to keep them from cannibalizing the pupae I gave them materials into which they could burrow to pupate. One material I enjoyed using was dense pieces of styrofoam. They burrow in and make all kinds of chambers in which they successfully pupate. I also put paper towel tubes filled with newspaper or paper toweling. The larvae will also burrow into this material but you don't hear crunching sounds they make in the styrofoam.

8103674027_ccd2a676f5_c.jpg

Zophobas morio ”Superworm” by Gerris2, on Flickr

My son raised one of these. It was fun to watch it. We have the E. goryi right now but they don't seem to like to be without substrate like the superworm.

My son raised one of these. It was fun to watch it. We have the E. goryi right now but they don't seem to like to be without substrate like the superworm.

I am still learning names of beetles, what is the genus name, Eleodes? I would love to grow a colony of that one. Is Eleodes easier than stag beetle culture? I know this is OT question but since I started the thread I think it is ok hahaha.

I am still learning names of beetles, what is the genus name, Eleodes? I would love to grow a colony of that one. Is Eleodes easier than stag beetle culture? I know this is OT question but since I started the thread I think it is ok hahaha.

Yep, that would be Eleodes :)

They are easier than stags in the sense that they don't "need" wood. They are perfectly fine eating other items like carrots.

I was delighted to see a prepupa and several pupae in my Zophobas morio colony. In order to keep them from cannibalizing the pupae I gave them materials into which they could burrow to pupate. One material I enjoyed using was dense pieces of styrofoam. They burrow in and make all kinds of chambers in which they successfully pupate. I also put paper towel tubes filled with newspaper or paper toweling. The larvae will also burrow into this material but you don't hear crunching sounds they make in the styrofoam.

8103674027_ccd2a676f5_c.jpg

Zophobas morio ”Superworm” by Gerris2, on Flickr

So wait, you don't isolate the larvae to get them to pupate? I've heard of people keeping them together with deep substrate, but I was never sure if it worked, so I only do what I've constantly heard works in isolating larvae to get pupa in separate containers...

I love these critters. Yea, they might be a feeder insect, but they are tons of fun to watch as adults I think. My adults are always on the move or chasing each other around. I love it!

So wait, you don't isolate the larvae to get them to pupate? I've heard of people keeping them together with deep substrate, but I was never sure if it worked, so I only do what I've constantly heard works in isolating larvae to get pupa in separate containers...

I love these critters. Yea, they might be a feeder insect, but they are tons of fun to watch as adults I think. My adults are always on the move or chasing each other around. I love it!

I guess I let them isolate themselves by providing the paper towel tubes and styrofoam into which they burrow.

Yep, that would be Eleodes :)

They are easier than stags in the sense that they don't "need" wood. They are perfectly fine eating other items like carrots.

Thank you for your comment. Have you noticed at all if they prefer carrot to potato?

Thank you for your comment. Have you noticed at all if they prefer carrot to potato?

I have never tried potatoes with them, or Eleodes. Maybe just give them both and watch what happens?

I have never tried potatoes with them, or Eleodes. Maybe just give them both and watch what happens?

I've worked with Eleodes and they have eaten a variety of fruits, including apple, banana, and grapes. They have also eaten cactus bits. I am sure they'd take potato or carrots too.

Try fish flakes as well. You can never go wrong with those for any bug.

Yes, Eleodes are wonderful and eat almost anything you give them :) They love fish food! Along with fish food I give mine carrots, apple, oats, hermit crab food, cuttlefish bone, cat food, and whatever else I decide at the time ;)

Yes! That would Eleodes goryi. I caught a bunch and they are breeding. I tried to put a few larva in containers with out substrate but they all died. Right now I have the larva in 100% coco nut coir and keep it as deep as I can. I'm going to try to isolate again when the meal worms are bigger.

I found my darkling beetles like cucumber, carrot, apple, potato and red leaf lettuce the best for fruit and veggies. I give them oat meal and ground flax seed for grains and for processed food/protein I give them dog food, hermit crab food, tad pole food, and fish flakes. I have tried banana, strawberry, radish leaf, tomato, cilantro and parsley but they did not seem to be interested in those at all. I like to mix things up to give them variety. Since my family eats a lot of organic fruit and veggies and we have guinea pigs there are lots of scraps of things to give the beetles. I'm kind of excited to try pumpkin since it is October. :lol:

My kids and I love these beetles. They are always active and willing to eat. They are so fun to watch in the evening as they run around and around and around the tank. We have one beetle we call Speedy (Cerenopus concolor), he always does clockwise laps. Never counter clockwise. I never really thought the beetles would have personalities but as the kids and I watch them in our community tank we can really see how different they all. It's pretty cool. I'm so glad we started this beetle journey. It's awesome.

Thanks so much for the very useful tips! I will keep my eyes open for Eleodes availability and I'll get some fish flakes from the supermarket.

Eleodes are great!

I have tiny babies in six 6 quart totes of substrate, three different species (Eleodes goryi, subnitens, and acuticauca) Once they grow a bit I may start trading and selling them.

I have a bunch of the Eleodes goryiif your interested. I have larva and adults. These guys are pretty kooky I think when I compare them to the other darklings we have. They like the bury themselves, the love the climb and they eat way more readily than the other beetles. They are also pretty fun to watch. They like to climb up to the top of something, a plastic plant or rock, and stand there in a group all wiggling their little antenna. Send me a PM if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I kept forgetting to take photos of the pupae as they developed. This pupa is the last one in the container. The color is gradually turning more brown, and the eyes are getting more pigmented as well. It is a lively stage and did not like being moved around for photo time. The pupa thrashes its abdomen around to drive off Mr. Hand (me), I guess it perceives it was being touched by a predator looking for a meal.

8154312112_24b29e1cf4_c.jpg

Zophobas morio pupa by Gerris2, on Flickr

8154312238_6924b98ee0_c.jpg

8154312174_fc084b65e9_c.jpg

8154312030_9237c807b7_c.jpg