Hello from South Korea!

Ryan H

Hello everybody from South Korea! I've been interested in obtaining a pet beetle since I got here and just acquired two large larvae. Not sure if they are stag or rhinoceros beetles. I'm currently keeping them both in one large container. One of them seems to be very picky about the temperature. If the room isn't cold it will surface and hang out there until night time when it reaches about 18c/60f in the house.

post-4981-0-10090300-1349942896_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I got them at a popular department store here called Lotte Mart for around $5 per grub. It took me quite a while to find this form actually, so I had been reading material on raising mealworms to get me by. I had mold in the cage today when I arrived home so I went back to buy more dirt (I don't have a nearby place to obtain any) and saw they now have adult Japanese rhinoceros beetles on display. It seems that is what they will be though I have seen stag beetles before as well.

Welcom :D

I am a Korean who lives in America right now.

The beetles you got are Trypoxylus dichtomus, one of the most popular pet beetle in South Korea :D

P.S. Beetles in Lotte mart are about twice more expensive than Online shops and are usually unhealthy. So I would recommend buying beetles online.

Welcom :D

I am a Korean who lives in America right now.

The beetles you got are Trypoxylus dichtomus, one of the most popular pet beetle in South Korea :D

P.S. Beetles in Lotte mart are about twice more expensive than Online shops and are usually unhealthy. So I would recommend buying beetles online.

Thank you! If these ones don't fare well, I will get some from Gmarket next time. :)

Welcome dude! Really cool to see more Koreans here. I've talked to a LOT of beetle breeders from SK. Anyways, welcome!

I don't know about that substrate... It doesn't look right for Trypoxylus/Allomyrina. Maybe try a darker mix? What do you think Alan? Because, it looks like Lucanus substrate to me...

Where did you find them? I'm going to guess Strategus aloeus. Welcome!

I'm not so sure Orin really saw the "South Korea" part here but oh well... Probably because most of the members here are in the US.

Welcome dude! Really cool to see more Koreans here. I've talked to a LOT of beetle breeders from SK. Anyways, welcome!

I don't know about that substrate... It doesn't look right for Trypoxylus/Allomyrina. Maybe try a darker mix? What do you think Alan? Because, it looks like Lucanus substrate to me...

He sounds more like he is American who is working in South Korea right now.

Substrate looks fine to me except that it is too dry right now. Substrates turn lighter in color when they are dry so it looks like it isn't fermented.

In Korea, you don't really need to use the substrate that are only for Dynastidae cause there aren't much difference between substrates for Lucanidae and Dynastidae. So it wouldn't be much problem to use any substrates purchased from any beetle shops.

I'm not so sure Orin really saw the "South Korea" part here but oh well... Probably because most of the members here are in the US.

I thought he was saying he was "here" from South Korea rather than "there" but if he bought them at a local department store his here is certainly not my here.

Suspicious confirmed, I am a Florida/Georgia resident living in Korea for the time being. :)

Ahhh gotcha. Should have looked at your profile picture. :P. B) If you ever move back to FL/GA contact me. I can supply many species for US residents. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh gotcha. Should have looked at your profile picture. :P. B) If you ever move back to FL/GA contact me. I can supply many species for US residents. B)

Absolutely! How long do these guys take after reaching L3 to turn into a beetle? They're still eating away at the substrate.

Absolutely! How long do these guys take after reaching L3 to turn into a beetle? They're still eating away at the substrate.

It depends on quality of substrate and the temp. you are keeping.

One of mine became pupa from L3 in about a month :) It was really hot in AL (around 32 deg. celcius) so this seems to have affected the growth.