Legal to own "pest"?

jreidsma

Rhinoceros beetles can\ be pests. Oryctes rhinoceros was introduced to Guam and the adults are now destroying palm trees throughout Guam. With 400,000+ species of beetles, it is evident that they are able to adapt quickly to many diffferent scenarios, and I believe it is also the possibility that these critters may not seem like pests in their native habitat, could potentially become a pest elsewhere.

You are right on some details... but if you look at the habits of Oryctes, this makes perfect sense. Dynastes, on the other hand, is so much different. Different genera have different diets. Strategus are a LOT like Oryctes and if I was a USDA agent I probably wouldn't encourage these to be shipped all over.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't except foreign Oryctes or Strategus.

The reason why they behave alike and CAN be pests is:

http://zipcodezoo.com/Key/Animalia/Oryctini_Tribe.asp

Check out that link. It shows that both genera are in Oryctini... B)

Sadly, Oryctini blows me away! The reason why that is sad is because they CAN be pests. So, if I were to keep one, I would be very cautious :o... More cautious then you are with, say, Trypoxylus/Allomyrina or Xylotrupes...

Think about this... MANY foreign species are being bred in the US and MANY breeders do not boil/cook substrate before throwing out... and eggs can often be missed. So why have no stag or rhino beetles invaded US soil? Well... because most of them aren't pests.

So all I am saying is, don't group things together so much. It is true, Dynastids are more of a problem than Lucanids... but neither are what one would consider "usually dangerous". You just gotta watch out for certain ones. All members of Oryctini should be researched before jumping to any conclusions.

P.S. I am in NO way encouraging the releasing of ANY foreign species... As I believe there are quite a few species from other countries that could live here... and it just wouldn't be right, to make them live here, as they might take over the breeding sites of native species, making the natives SLIGHTLY less common (though not significantly) which would be an issue, no doubt. A pest species is one that not only does THIS, but also does something SIGNIFICANTLY dangerous to the environment, effecting our quality of living, or the eco system itself.

Rhinoceros beetles can\ be pests. Oryctes rhinoceros was introduced to Guam and the adults are now destroying palm trees throughout Guam. With 400,000+ species of beetles, it is evident that they are able to adapt quickly to many diffferent scenarios, and I believe it is also the possibility that these critters may not seem like pests in their native habitat, could potentially become a pest elsewhere.

To government i am the pest cool a new marvel comic Vaillant ooops i mean Hero

You are right on some details... but if you look at the habits of Oryctes, this makes perfect sense. Dynastes, on the other hand, is so much different. Different genera have different diets. Strategus are a LOT like Oryctes and if I was a USDA agent I probably wouldn't encourage these to be shipped all over.

http://zipcodezoo.co...ctini_Tribe.asp

Sadly, Oryctini blows me away! The reason why that is sad is because they CAN be pests. So, if I were to keep one, I would be very cautious :o... More cautious then you are with, say, Trypoxylus/Allomyrina or Xylotrupes...

Think about this... MANY foreign species are being bred in the US and MANY breeders do not boil/cook substrate before throwing out... and eggs can often be missed. So why have no stag or rhino beetles invaded US soil? Well... because most of them aren't pests.

So all I am saying is, don't group things together so much. It is true, Dynastids are more of a problem than Lucanids... but neither are what one would consider "usually dangerous". You just gotta watch out for certain ones. All members of Oryctini should be researched before jumping to any conclusions.

P.S. I am in NO way encouraging the releasing of ANY foreign species... As I believe there are quite a few species from other countries that could live here... and it just wouldn't be right, to make them live here, as they might take over the breeding sites of native species, making the natives SLIGHTLY less common (though not significantly) which would be an issue, no doubt. A pest species is one that not only does THIS, but also does something SIGNIFICANTLY dangerous to the environment, effecting our quality of living, or the eco system itself.

I agree

http://zipcodezoo.com/Key/Animalia/Oryctini_Tribe.asp

I understand they are different...but still you never know....I've been reading about a Japanese longhorn recently found in the northeastern US....it was originally thought that the species ate rotting wood only....turns out it eats live wood too and has been starting to damage trees...there are tons of beetles here in our own country that we don't fully understand their life histories...better to be safe than sorry I think...

I understand they are different...but still you never know....I've been reading about a Japanese longhorn recently found in the northeastern US....it was originally thought that the species ate rotting wood only....turns out it eats live wood too and has been starting to damage trees...there are tons of beetles here in our own country that we don't fully understand their life histories...better to be safe than sorry I think...

i agree to that too (Life is like a box of beetles you never know what they going to get )

Yes but MOST longhorns have a potential to be pests... and barely anyone keeps them in the hobby... think about it...

That may be true, but you have to look beyond whether or not something can be a pest or not. Diseases, parasites, fungi....but that's straying from the topic about pest species...and I don't want to get in a big debate on this forum and stir up emotions and bad blood, just enjoy beetles like everyone else here.

All in all....this thread just makes me sad that I have to accept the fact that I will never be able to own some of those gorgeous exotics alive such as Allomyrina and Chalcosoma, and can only recall my experiences of working with them(at least Chalcosoma and some others not including Allomyrina) at zoos and museums. *runs away and cries*