Legal to own "pest"?

jreidsma

Hi everyone :)

Just wondering if it is legal to keep beetles that could be seen as "pest" like ten lined junes beetles and Cotinis? These beetles are not in Michigan so I am thinking they cannot live in the cold winters we have. I think these beetles are rather pretty and was thinking of keeping some and breeding. But I would not release any.

My only question is, could I get fined or something for keeping things like those?

I could be wrong here but I think it is illegal to bring non native species across state lines. For example bringing them into Michigan where they are nonnative from another state where they are native. If they are pests that would be even more of a reason for this law to be enforced. I see people breaking the rule a lot with D.granti though..

If having any insect not native to your state is illegal then we are all breaking the law though, lol. Why can't the laws be more straight forward...

That is a beautiful beetle :D

I can't find any info really online... I have found a couple times though that "it is illegal to keep non-native insects" or that the USA government is very strict on keeping insects or shipping them, and that many people think it is illegal to ship them or bring them across state lines. Which is stupid...

So if that is true then we are all breaking the law, lol.

What defines a non-native insect though? Do they mean non-native to the USA? Or not native to your state?

Hmm... maybe I should post on AB and see what people think on there.

I hope the gov. doesn't break into my house and confiscate all my insects, lol.

If the laws are this strict, then it is illegal to own Eleodes or something like them to...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/organism/insects.shtml

As a side note, do any of you keep your insect collections a secret?

I think the whole point of it is to keep"pests" from becoming more wide spread in places where they don't already exist. A lot of people break this law mainly because it doesn't really seem like it should be a law. Half the people who break it wouldn't even consider owning a beetle to be a problem. I've been running into this issue with dried specimens recently. You need to do a lot of extra stuff with the USFWS to get them shipped from overseas but I know there must be thousands of people who never even think that filling out forums, shipping through ports, paying inspection fees, and paying for permits would be needed to have them shipped over and to resell them. They fact that what you want to get are considered "pests" makes it a bigger deal if you were to get in trouble for it.

im keeping a termite colony ( pacific damp wood termites) i went to pest control and they said they rarely count as a pest so im keeping the queen and the colony :) im using them as a feeder insect and they work great except the soldiers who are aggressive :huh: they live in small numbers and when they make reproductives i might sell them if anyone wants it but is it legal to ship termites states to state??? ps i hope goverment dudes are not in this forume dry.gif and i heard one of my friends friends keeps a non native colony from mexico and all the rhino beetles and spiders because his uncle works at the airport and he just keep insects in his poket and hand to him... im kind of jealous but i dont want to :blink: i dont know his name and never saw him but i dont think ill risk it

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to USDA today and they said dynastes tityus and granti were considered pests because they eat plant roots. I have never heard of this and don't know how true it is but it's what I was told. They said a permit would be required to have them shipped to you and for you to keep them. Lucanus elaphus on the other hand I was told was not considered a pest and didn't require a permit.

What I am getting at is now I know for sure pests cannot be moved interstate without a permit but I think non pests can.

I still can't believe dynastes tityus and granti are considered pest and really feel that should change..

I talked to USDA today and they said dynastes tityus and granti were considered pests because they eat plant roots. I have never heard of this and don't know how true it is but it's what I was told. They said a permit would be required to have them shipped to you and for you to keep them. Lucanus elaphus on the other hand I was told was not considered a pest and didn't require a permit.

What I am getting at is now I know for sure pests cannot be moved interstate without a permit but I think non pests can.

I still can't believe dynastes tityus and granti are considered pest and really feel that should change..

How can Dynastes be a pest when they eat rotting wood....

I think that beetle wise I will be sticking with things like Eleodes, that don't need rotting wood.

How can Dynastes be a pest when they eat rotting wood....

I think the reason why they are said to feed on roots is because many other types of "curl grubs" eat the roots of different plants, which causes yellow patches of grass. The USDA folks just group them all in the same category.

• 1 month later...

I could be wrong here but I think it is illegal to bring non native species across state lines. For example bringing them into Michigan where they are nonnative from another state where they are native. If they are pests that would be even more of a reason for this law to be enforced. I see people breaking the rule a lot with D.granti though..

Dam everything is illegal, people got illegal up in their heads, General public tell illegal tales for the things they don't know Some really are illegal and some are myth. They thinks that i am any kind of man as long as it's not a legal man ( The one who believes no explanation necessary, And the one who don't none would be sufficient ) I try to respect the government to the best of my ability 7 It Is but 10 IT WON'T BE Respect the Government Not fear THEM. AWU AWU AWU ! ! ! Well but i am just a nobody. What it is good for hu ha !! It's absolutely nothing he he !! 0 .

can? Well... not me! I CAN'T resist ;) hehehe

You are a national treasure ha ha

I think the reason why they are said to feed on roots is because many other types of "curl grubs" eat the roots of different plants, which causes yellow patches of grass. The USDA folks just group them all in the same category.

Rhinoceros beetles can\ be pests. Oryctes rhinoceros was introduced to Guam and the adults are now destroying palm trees throughout Guam. With 400,000+ species of beetles, it is evident that they are able to adapt quickly to many diffferent scenarios, and I believe it is also the possibility that these critters may not seem like pests in their native habitat, could potentially become a pest elsewhere.