dcheath

My Beetles

I think the first one is Zopherus nodulosus, so yes it would be some sort of ironclad beetle.

The second looks like some sort of Eleodes or something similar.

That one is some sort of ground beetle, can't remember the name...

Ahh thats right, I think that one is a Scarites species

or possibly Pasimachus sp.

What is the best way to set up the Eleodes? At the moment I just have him in a deli cup with coconut coir.

After looking both up, I believe it is a Scarites sp.

Everyone seems to have a different way of doing it, but I will tell you how I do it as it works for me.

I use 6 quart Sterilite containers (the little shoe box like ones, they are about 13 and 3/8 inches by 8 and 1/4 inches by 4 7/8 inches. I have fourteen beetles in there living happily and healthy.

For substrate I mix coconut coir and sand. About 50-50 if I am remembering correctly.

I feed them assorted fruits and dry foods. Carrots, apples, peaches, figs, raisins, hermit crab food, fish food, cat food, oats, cricket food, pretty much anything you can think of.

If you are expecting babies, then make sure to submerge a carrot in the substrate. Because if my substrate mix has a fault, it is that it has no value for the larva. I pull the larva and put them into their own little containers when I see them though and feed them the dry foods and carrots I give the adults.

Hope that helped somewhat :)

Everyone seems to have a different way of doing it, but I will tell you how I do it as it works for me.

I use 6 quart Sterilite containers (the little shoe box like ones, they are about 13 and 3/8 inches by 8 and 1/4 inches by 4 7/8 inches. I have fourteen beetles in there living happily and healthy.

For substrate I mix coconut coir and sand. About 50-50 if I am remembering correctly.

I feed them assorted fruits and dry foods. Carrots, apples, peaches, figs, raisins, hermit crab food, fish food, cat food, oats, cricket food, pretty much anything you can think of.

If you are expecting babies, then make sure to submerge a carrot in the substrate. Because if my substrate mix has a fault, it is that it has no value for the larva. I pull the larva and put them into their own little containers when I see them though and feed them the dry foods and carrots I give the adults.

Hope that helped somewhat :)

Cool, thanks! What about temps.? I gave him some of the mixed greens and carrots today, that I give my baby tortoises, but I haven't seen him eat.

I do not supply any extra heat. My room stays about 75-80 during the day and rarely goes under 70 at night.

I do not supply any extra heat. My room stays about 75-80 during the day and rarely goes under 70 at night.

Then he should be fine in my snake rack. Thanks!

Yep :)

Hope they all do well for you :D

The Eleodes is Eleodes goryi! :D I recognize it from trying to figure out what my little darkling was.

The Eleodes is Eleodes goryi! :D I recognize it from trying to figure out what my little darkling was.

I caught them in Georgetown. In fact I caught another pair today.

If you set up something bigger, or something like I mentioned then maybe you will get some larva :D

I caught them in Georgetown. In fact I caught another pair today.

This beetle eludes me and yet it seems to be all over the place. Oh well, tomorrow is another day! :lol:

This beetle eludes me and yet it seems to be all over the place. Oh well, tomorrow is another day! :lol:

If you want more, I'll keep an eye out. Let me know.

If you set up something bigger, or something like I mentioned then maybe you will get some larva :D

I'm setting them up in a 5 gal tank. As of today I now have 3.4. Caught another pair today. I'll give yoour suggestions a try.

I'm setting them up in a 5 gal tank. As of today I now have 3.4. Caught another pair today. I'll give yoour suggestions a try.

A five gallon tank with be plenty room for them :D

Hope they do well :) Eleodes are fun beetles to keep.

Thank you for the kind offer! I think most of my bad luck is bug hunting with a 4 and 3 year old. It's ok, school starts on Monday!! :D

Thank you for the kind offer! I think most of my bad luck is bug hunting with a 4 and 3 year old. It's ok, school starts on Monday!! :D

I've been roach hunting the past couple of days with my 5 year old, but we did pretty good. I did catch one more Eleodes today. I now have 4 pair. Let me know if you want any. I'll be in Austin on Saturday probably.