Brand New

jkanyok

Hello, all. I'm just becoming interested in raising and breeding beetles. I've been collecting and mounting insects for a couple of years now, so I feel like it's time to learn more about the lifestyles of these creatures. I've been in veterinary medicine for 12 years, but my first love has always been bugs. When I was 5, I learned how to spell "entomologist" so I could tell my teacher that's what I wanted to be! Plus, to be honest, my cat died about a year ago, and where I live I cannot get another, so I'm thinking beetles are a logical new pet. I am definitely going to buy the books that have been recommended here, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on a medium-sized beetle to start with, and where to purchase? I have a 3-year-old daughter who also LOVES bugs, so I really want to get her into this, but I don't want her handling smaller, delicate creatures. She really wants a spider, but I told her she has to wait until she's 5 (although we've collected some jumping spiders for her to watch for now). Any info on where to start would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jennie

Welcome! I recall in middle school our stern English teacher asked what the term entomologist meant and I raised my hand eagerly. She called on me and I announced it was a person who studies bugs. Everybody laughed and the teacher was annoyed. It amazes me now that she had no idea that there was a term entomologist and it sounds very much like etymologist.

I'd suggest trying to track down Gymnetis (flavomarginata) caseyi. It's a pretty, easy to keep USA flower beetle.

Welcome! I recall in middle school our stern English teacher asked what the term entomologist meant and I raised my hand eagerly. She called on me and I announced it was a person who studies bugs. Everybody laughed and the teacher was annoyed. It amazes me now that she had no idea that there was a term entomologist and it sounds very much like etymologist.

I'd suggest trying to track down Gymnetis (flavomarginata) caseyi. It's a pretty, easy to keep USA flower beetle.

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions as to where to acquire some of these guys? I read up on them (briefly) and it seems like they'd be a good beetle to start with.

Jennie