How to sex Phileurus truncatus?

Lucanus

I originally thought that females have narrow tip of the horns while males have thick blob tip. But after couple of disections, I found out that my method was wrong. So I need help getting my Phileurus to be sexed. Can someone provide some pics and instructions on sexing these guys?

You may be confused or looking at a very small male. How about some photos of the horns and lower abdomen? If the horn shots in your photos posted in the picture section include both specimens you have two males.

You may be confused or looking at a very small male. How about some photos of the horns and lower abdomen? If the horn shots in your photos posted in the picture section include both specimens you have two males.

Crap. I won't be able to breed them then.

In your other thread you appear to have a bunch of shots (6) of the male's horns close up but only one further away shot of the possible female's horns and none are labeled (such as specimen 1 and 2). All 6 shots of the horn closeups are the same specimen? The abdomen shots above could look different if the shot was taken at a different angle or they might be male and female. It's actually really easy to sex them in person but camera angles and unexplained photos make it difficult.

Phileurus truncatus have specific requirements for egg laying, unlike the valgus and illatus.

It's actually really easy to sex them in person but camera angles and unexplained photos make it difficult.Phileurus truncatus have specific requirements for egg laying, unlike the valgus and illatus.

Their last segment is distinctive from each other so I guess I have a pair.

What requirements do they have?

Be careful they can multiply pretty quickly. They are not beneficial enough for me to keep them. They can crawl on your hand from the beetle, plus they make the beetle look nasty. That's my 2 cents. My 2 P. Truncatus are doing great without mites.

I'm having some grain mite problems right now so I was using these guys to see if they can act as a biological control. Seems to be working for now :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...