Lucanus elaphus male

Beetles in the Bush

That is one nice male!!!

Lucanus elaphus seems to be common in many states. I found more than 40 of them last year at a particular forest (They were larvae when I collected which most of them ended up failing to emergy as adults. It was a very hot day so the pupae dried up while they were emerging).

I wish I could find that many L.capreolus

I wish I could find that many L.capreolus

For some reason, I never found any larvae of L. capreolus in my area but adults do come out at summer where I collect L. elaphus. I caught few adults two years ago and succeeded in breeding.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, never seen L.capreolus, hoping to find adults before they start getting old and dead in my area

yeah, never seen L.capreolus, hoping to find adults before they start getting old and dead in my area

They usually come out at night in June and July. They seem to be very common in my area because I see more than 10 beetles dead under street lights during their season.

yeah, funny how the only ones I find are mutilated males or random heads on the sidewalk

• 6 years later...