The Ultimate Guide to Breeding Beetles, Coleoptera Laboratory Culture Methods

Dynastes

I have this book as well as his other book on invertebrate exhibiting and breeding both books are full of useful information. In terms of The Ultimate Guide to Breeding Beetles McMonigle goes over the most popular types of beetles in the hobby as well as both exotic and domestic species. However I will say that in terms of some of the additional breeding information on exotic species of beetle mainly rhinoceros and stag beetles the info. is condensed. I only say this because I own a beetle breeding book from Taiwan titled For the Love of Rhinoceros and Stag beetles 2nd edition and the information the two book set provides is similar but has some contrasts for certain species and more extensive information. However of the two books McMonigle's had a wider range of beetle species and provides information for a wider range of species overall as he has taken the time to first and foremost include information about native North American species which seems to be priority in most of the categories (Dung beetles, Rhinoceros beetles and stag beetles) over providing more extensive information about exotic species ( which is safe to say is because his sales market for this book is mainly in the US and thus providing knowledge but also abiding by not encouraging illegal ownership of exotic beetles in the US) Which he does give a warning to the readers in the epilogue of the book. I have yet to see if these methods are successful as I have yet to own any large beetles such as stag or rhinoceros beetles yet in order to test out and experiment with the methods of Orin Mcmonigle and compare them to that of Taiwan and thus also Japanese beetle breeding techniques.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first Mcmonigle book, and I got it yesterday. It seems very thorough, but I noticed one thing I wanted to have clarified. In the book, it mentions fermenting wood, but it says that the wood must start as rotten wood. I was under the impression that fermentation was like artificially rotting the wood. I will admit that I haven't read it in its entirety as I have not had much time the past couple days. I did spend about an hour reviewing it, but I need to go back and read everything. If this topic is mentioned in a different part of the book, then please tell me. Otherwise, it covers just about every species I have been looking to breed, and I think it was worth the price. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I got this book for Christmas. It's the best beetle breeding book I've ever read! It's perfectly tailored for the US hobbyist. It has new and updated info when compared to orins previous books, and his experience keeping beetles definitely shows. This book has general info on all types of beetles, both native and foreign species. 12/10!