Pasimachus depressus

Hisserdude

Got two sexed pairs from a friend, gonna try my best to get some babies out of these guys!

Pasimachusdep%25232.JPG

Pasimachusdep%25233.JPG

Here you can see the metallic blue border around the pronotum and elytra:

Pasimachusdep%25234.JPG

Female

Pasimachusdep%25235.JPG

Pasimachusdep%25236.JPG

Pasimachusdep%25237.JPG

Beautiful!

Thanks! :)

Pasimachus are great beetles! I love the different colors that are exhibited around the pronotum borders too. Greens, blues, purples, and even reds! I hope you enjoy them!

I know, they are really cool pets for sure! Oooh I like the sound of a red bordered Pasimachus, what species has a border that color?

I know, they are really cool pets for sure! Oooh I like the sound of a red bordered Pasimachus, what species has a border that color?

P. viridans will show red streaks through the green borders when viewed under the correct light. This leads some people to call them "Christmas Warrior Beetles." It's not as easy to see as the green color though.

Sorry for the late response, I'm actually on a collection trip at the moment. I've been overturning rocks looking for Pasimachus, but no luck so far!

Thanks! :)

Oh, and P. viridans is now available on bugsincyberspace.com if you want one. :) I won't snatch it up! ;)

P. viridans will show red streaks through the green borders when viewed under the correct light. This leads some people to call them "Christmas Warrior Beetles." It's not as easy to see as the green color though.

Sorry for the late response, I'm actually on a collection trip at the moment. I've been overturning rocks looking for Pasimachus, but no luck so far!

That's really cool, I knew about the green obviously but never heard about the red streaks! :D Thanks for the info!

Hey no problem, collecting bugs should always be your number one priority! :lol: Hope you find some Pasimachus eventually!

Oh, and P. viridans is now available on bugsincyberspace.com if you want one. :) I won't snatch it up! ;)

Thanks, but I'll pass, I just can't justify buying something that I probably won't be able to breed for that relatively high price. If I'm successful breeding my P.depressus then I'll jump on them the next time I see some for sale, but as it is it's hard enough to breed the commonly available Pasimachus, so I see no point in buying some of the more pricey ones, you know? :) Thanks for the head's up though, I appreciate it!

That's really cool, I knew about the green obviously but never heard about the red streaks! :D Thanks for the info!

Hey no problem, collecting bugs should always be your number one priority! :lol: Hope you find some Pasimachus eventually!

Thanks, but I'll pass, I just can't justify buying something that I probably won't be able to breed for that relatively high price. If I'm successful breeding my P.depressus then I'll jump on them the next time I see some for sale, but as it is it's hard enough to breed the commonly available Pasimachus, so I see no point in buying some of the more pricey ones, you know? :) Thanks for the head's up though, I appreciate it!

I don't know about collecting being my number one priority. I have a job, and I'm a full time student at a university. Both of those things I prioritize above insect collecting. I did however find a Pasimachus specimen under a slab of discarded plywood. I suspect it's P. elongatus, and it was one of only two interesting things I found. (The other interesting find being Eleodes saturalis.)

You really are in it for the breeding, aren't you? What's wrong with keeping a cool specimen as a pet? Peter's right when he says the $15 is the beetle's worth as a dead specimen. I'm sure if you added the "price of life" it would easily be a $30 or $40 beetle. Do you have a dead collection?

I don't know about collecting being my number one priority. I have a job, and I'm a full time student at a university. Both of those things I prioritize above insect collecting. I did however find a Pasimachus specimen under a slab of discarded plywood. I suspect it's P. elongatus, and it was one of only two interesting things I found. (The other interesting find being Eleodes saturalis.)

You really are in it for the breeding, aren't you? What's wrong with keeping a cool specimen as a pet? Peter's right when he says the $15 is the beetle's worth as a dead specimen. I'm sure if you added the "price of life" it would easily be a $30 or $40 beetle. Do you have a dead collection?

Well then, seems like you need to get your priorities straightened out, bugs before anything else!! :P

Glad to hear that, seems like the only two species in your area are P.elongatus and P.californicus, and I think P.californicus is larger than P.elongatus. And congrats on finding the E.suturalis, male or female?

Yup, when I buy an invertebrate I want to have that species pretty much indefinitely, so I only like to buy inverts that I can breed and keep in my collection. I've kept single male hissing cockroaches as pets, and while it is fun, it's not so fun when they eventually die off. When you have a reproducing colony of them, they never really die, you always have a bunch of them, you know?

I wasn't trying to say it was a bad price for the beetle, for a Pasimachus that pretty $15 seems pretty cheap! It's just that the even cheaper ones are hard enough to breed, so why get the more expensive one? If I'm successful in breeding my P.depressus, then like I said, I'll totally get some P.viridans one day. :) But for now, I'll stick to things I can breed, or at least try to breed for a lower price. ;)

And no, I don't have a dead collection, I'm only interested in insects that move. :D

Got two sexed pairs from a friend, gonna try my best to get some babies out of these guys!
Pasimachusdep%25232.JPG
Pasimachusdep%25233.JPG
Here you can see the metallic blue border around the pronotum and elytra:
Pasimachusdep%25234.JPG
Female
Pasimachusdep%25235.JPG
Pasimachusdep%25236.JPG
Pasimachusdep%25237.JPG

That is awesome I rarely see them for sale let along a sexed pair if you are successful in breeding the pair let us know your findings and research on requirements and conditions for breeding these magnificent predatory beetles :D