This weekend's finds

Had a great time up in Millbrook for the second week in a row.

Caught:

C. sexguttata, couldn't get a better pic because it was eating and I was very happy to NOT disturb it. :)

post-7775-0-91423100-1400702409_thumb.jpg

Found these 2 big babies in a rotted tree, very exciting, any ID help would be fantastic! ;)

post-7775-0-59610100-1400702430_thumb.jpg

post-7775-0-40192300-1400702419_thumb.jpg

This guy's pooping on my quarter...no respect! :lol:

2 of 3 beautiful Megalodacne heros... :wub:

post-7775-0-32107400-1400702457_thumb.jpg

Couldn't get a good shot of this guy...he's large, and rather bitey, like a big superworm with a helgrammite's head, if that makes sense...any help would be great.

post-7775-0-64599300-1400702997_thumb.jpg

I'm a big fan of millipedes and polydesmids...so of course I was excited to have some of these. (I know it's not a beetle photo lol).

post-7775-0-06355800-1400703006_thumb.jpg

Alobates pennsylvanica?! Think I got it this time :D only found one though.

post-7775-0-00676200-1400703015_thumb.jpg

The larva on the second post is a click beetle larva, alaus sp. maybe? And I think you properly identified the alobates pennslyvanica. Overall I think you got a very nice haul! :)

Woah, those two big larvae look like Osmoderma scabra to me. Can you possibly go back to the place where you found them and try finding more? They are usually found in groups so there could be more in the wood you found them in :)

Oh yes, Osmoderma! I completely forgot about these beetles. Good eyes Lucanus!

They are impressive beetles, built like tanks - I'd definitely recommend rearing these larvae.

Any advice? :D

Woah, those two big larvae look like Osmoderma scabra to me. Can you possibly go back to the place where you found them and try finding more? They are usually found in groups so there could be more in the wood you found them in :)

I'm going to try and go back this weekend...fingers crossed! :)

• 2 weeks later...

The larva on the second post is a click beetle larva, alaus sp. maybe? And I think you properly identified the alobates pennslyvanica. Overall I think you got a very nice haul! :)

The click beetle larva is Alaus species for sure, especially if it is big. I would definitely keep it (they are predators -you can feed with mealworms or grubs) because the adult beetles are very beautiful.

Thanks for the help with this one guys! It's doubled in size and feeding voraciously on mealies. Really glad I had this information! :)

Good to hear it! You should put a small rotten log in with your alaus grub, for it to pupate in. And be careful with cage choice, i have heard they can chew their way through most plastic!

You never cease to amaze me Amici. How do you find all of this? My area i was living in in ca was so dry! There was no rotting wood I could find, and you eventually get tired of collecting the same Eleodes and ironclads over and over again. I think my luck will turn, though, just found a ton of stags last night by the porch lights in my new house in Italy. I love how enthusiastic about this you are, keep it up man!

They like to eat an assortment of things including deteriorating wood as well as leaf litter and millipede staples like lettuce and apples etc. I current have one that I found around a week ago feeding on lettuce and pooping EVERYWHERE so he must be liking it haha. I'm going to test out if it is okay to house these guys with Spirobolid millipedes as well and see if I can get a multi-species community going.