Euphoria limbalis

Greatwun

Nice find! I received some of these from FL last year (or maybe it was the year before that), but failed miserably at breeding them :( Adults lasted for only a week or less for some reason, and the larvae I got from the adults failed to pupate successfully. Hope this doesn't happen to yours!

This adult actually died the same night and I'm not sure why. I'm gonna collect a few more and see if I can get them to breed. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if these beetles are just difficult to keep alive.

I don't know if it was diet. It died only a few hours after I captured it so could it have starved that soon? Also sometimes I set out ripe slices of oranges and I find other species of Euphoria beetles feeding on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like there are two color forms in my area. The normal emerald form and a "Red" form. I have never seen the Red form documented before. Reminds me of Chrysina gloriosa and its Red form that occurs in the Davis Mountains in Texas.

Elimbalis_zps9bc97f89.jpg

It's very fun to catch them. I have to search flowers for a while. I only find about 1-2 per hour. When I do find one on a flower my heart starts racing. Many times they fly away before I can even get close enough! It's one of my favorite species to look for in Florida along with Dynastes and Strategus.

It's very fun to catch them. I have to search flowers for a while. I only find about 1-2 per hour. When I do find one on a flower my heart starts racing. Many times they fly away before I can even get close enough! It's one of my favorite species to look for in Florida along with Dynastes and Strategus.

I sooooo know that feeling...that's how I feel about tiger beetles.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...