New Darklings and their tank

Hi,

Today I received my first order of the year! I decided to give the desert sampler from Bugs in Cyberspace a try this time.

I used to have several Eleodes species. Each species had its own tank. Life got a bit hectic and I didn't have as much time as I would have liked. In the end, I ended up selling them off to people wanting to get into keeping darkling beetles. I really wish that I would have just put them together in one tank and kept them now though :rolleyes:

Now it is time to get back into keeping beetles though. Darkling have always been my favorite, rivaling the spider beetles that I have. So why not set up a community of them this time?

I received Cryptoglossa variolosa, Eleodes osculans, Eleodes armata, un identified individuals, and an extra T. molitor.

Sy-LJsbmax.jpg

rJN8kjZQpl.jpg

SyrIks-X6l.jpg

This one is the largest. An Eleodes darkling.

SywPaWQax.jpg

This little guy buried instantly, this is the only image I got.

Sk8ysZQ6l.jpg

This is the tank overall. I am seeing an upgrade whenever I get more beetles though.

B17U1jZXax.jpg

The substrate is coconut coir and sand mixed. I will submerge some carrots soon incase I end up with some larva. I'd also like to get some more climbing material sooner or later, but for now, it works.

Very nice, darklings are my favorite beetles as well, and are my second favorite invertebrate to keep, (first is roaches). :) Love Eleodes armatus, unfortunately they are quite hard to breed and the pupae have an extremely low survival rate.

Would love to see more pictures of the unidentified species, may be able to identify it for you if you can get a clearer shot, (emphasis on may lol). Just wondering, does it have golden hairs on it's tibia?

I honestly can't tell you what colors it may or may not have. I'm color blind.

If I ever see them come back up where I can see them though, I am going to get some more pictures. I didn't figure they would bury themselves right away :lol:

I honestly can't tell you what colors it may or may not have. I'm color blind.

If I ever see them come back up where I can see them though, I am going to get some more pictures. I didn't figure they would bury themselves right away :lol:

Oh sorry to hear that! I only ask because it looks quite similar to Cibdelis, which have golden setae on their tibia, which can be used to separate them from certain Eleodes that look similar. Can't really tell from the photo whether it had such hairs or not.

Ok, sounds good to me! :) Yeah, many Tenebs like to burrow a lot! :P

Managed to find one of them hiding in the cholla wood. They were much calmer this time :)

Awesome, thanks for the additional pics! Just as I suspected, it is indeed a species of Cibdelis, no doubt about it! :) Never heard of anyone keeping this genus before, would be very cool if you got larvae from yours!

Keep us updated on them, hope they all do well for you!

I'm hoping I keep larva from them all. At the very least from the Eleodes, but I don't have multiple beetles yet. Just have to see what happens.

That does indeed look like them. Maybe we should invent a DNA test for beetles.