Beetle Wish List

thats funny, the redstripe is all I've found, but E.hispilabris seems to be more rare here, maybe this will be a good year for them though.

Very cool, be sure to post pictures should you find some this year! :D

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would kill to have Megasoma elephas and Dynastes neptunus. D. neptunus specifically is probably my favorite species of animal in the world.
The quadruple horns are killer and remind me of a ship from the R-Type series.

• 1 month later...
  1. Chalcosoma caucasus - quite possibly my favorite beetle
  2. Dynastes neptunus - is what interested me in rhino beetles as a kid
  3. Dynastes hercules hercules - I feel like this is THE obligatory beetle for rhino fans, and one of my favorites
  4. Megasome elephas - I feel like this one is also obligatory for fans of rhinos
  5. Megasoma mars - there's something to be said for a beautiful jet-black shell
  6. Phalacrognathus muelleri - too pretty of a stag to not want
  7. Allomyrina dichotoma - the forked horn structure is beautiful
  8. Chiasognathus grantii - those jaws, though
  9. Lucanus elaphus - native obligatory big stag
  10. Chrysina gloriosa - too pretty to not include
  11. Chrysina beyeri - see above
  12. Chrysina resplendens - gorgeous scarab
  13. Goliathus regius - gorgeous pattern
  14. Phaneus vindex - gorgeous native dung beetle
  15. Coprophanaeus lancifer - don't even know how one would successfully keep a carrion-eating dung beetle (I wonder if that affects their legality), but damn they're pretty!
  16. Embaphion muricatum - I'm really not too into darklings, but these guys are so cool
  17. Trachelophorus giraffa - Too cool not to want
  18. Eurhinus magnificus - I'd definitely need a macro lens to fully appreciate these in person
  19. Eupholus magnificus - Another very cool (and big) weevil
  20. Eupholus bennetti - Such a beautiful blue coloration

Luckily, a couple of those aren't illegal for me :lol: I'm sure this list will grow

Would love to have a Cheirotonus macleayi formosanus, I remember going to Taiwan hiking up those mountains and finding those beetles, and they are very beautiful. Also, I would like to acquire some L. Elephas or Rhaetolus sp., they're pretty in their own way. If only I could set my hands on those giant Dorcus and huge Prosopocoilus beetles. Throw in some Chalcosoma Atlas, and DHH and you have my list!

My tastes are quite unconventional. Unfortunately, many of the below have been never kept as pets before.

In no particular order:

0. I don't like big fancy scarabs/stags for the most part, they tend to have very short adult lives outside of hibernation

1. Mixed carabid tank (small 1 cm garden and forest species). Amara is a common lawn carabid, but it is quite pretty

2. I drool at almost every tenebrionid I see photos of.

3. One of the longer-lived meloids

4. and erotylids and elaterids

5. Penthe fungus beetles

6. Cucujus clavipes

7. Moneilema, and whatever other cerambycids are easy to raise and have long adult lives

8. and possibly some trogossitids and melandryids and chelonariids and endomychids and

• 3 months later...

1.) allomyrina dichotoma

2.) Xylotrupes ulysse

3.) Phalacrognathus muelleri

4.) Lucanus Elaphus

5.) Chrysina gloriosa

6.) any weevil, maybe of the bigger kinds

still pretty new to the hobby, I honestly just want to see my larvae grow up right now! then probably my next goal would be to shift to stag beetle care

I have a couple of new editions.

1. Calais speciosus (Its my favorite elaterid, and a beetle I really want to work with.)

2. Heliocopris gigas (biggest dung beetle)

3. Oryctes rhinoceros (I know it’s a pest, but why do you think I know about Calais speciosus (wink face)).

4. Zopherus nodulosus haldemanii (gotta love the zopherids)

5. Trogidae species (how could anyone resist that face?)

6. The other two US Megasoma species (I have Sleeperi, but not punctulatus or vogti)

7. Essentially any beetle from the desert.

8. Basically any beetle from Africa or Asia

9. Different varieties of erotylids

10. Most species of forest darklings (I have alobates, bolitotherus, and neomida, but I really want meracantha (I have a couple of larvae), tarpela micans (am I correct in assuming that no one he’s bred these yet?), and any zopherids, as well as nyctobates gigas (the longest darkling in the world).

Of course, all of the species in my original list (especially prionotheca Coronata, that’s my favorite creature to roam the earth), along with the addition of velvet ants (they’re not beetles, but I love them anyways) still count. Hopefully y’all can tell that my main interest lies in tenebrionids and related families. And before anyone asks, I will NEVER stop saying y’all!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bit of a little-known species, and not in the hobby from what I can tell, but Spodistes beltianus is a really cool rhino with cute eyes ❤️

For several reasons, I'm sure it will never come to pass, but tropical weevil species such as Eupholus magnificus would undoubtedly be very popular with hobbyists, if it were ever possible to breed them in captivity - https://wesleyfleming.com/gallery/Eupholus-magnificus5.jpg

or, E. bennettihttp://image11.photobiz.com/5177/36_20130702091904_824288_large.jpg

or, E. schoenherri - http://mongabay-images.s3.amazonaws.com/780/indonesia/west-papua_0439.jpg

They're upwards of 30 mm long, and are collected off of yam leaves in Papua New Guinea.  Of course, two issues: (A) - they're an exotic that would undoubtedly be restricted (at least, in the US), and (B) - I've never heard of anyone having live specimens of any species of Eupholus (or live examples of any other beetle species from PNG, for that matter).  As of late, it's getting difficult to get even dried specimens of many insect species from PNG, though I've not thoroughly explored the reasons for this.  Formerly, the country seemed to have a thriving insect farming business; not sure what happened - too much of its rainforest destroyed over the past 25 years, perhaps?  Heightened export restrictions?

17 hours ago, Hyperdistortia said:

Spodistes beltianus is a really cool rhino with cute eyes ❤️

That is an extremely cool rhino! It reminds me of a dead leaf mantis in beetle form.

2 hours ago, Goliathus said:

Eupholus magnificus, E. bennettiE. schoenherri

Holy crap, those are gorgeous! Something about weevil leg structures make them look like toys to me. Looks like I've got to update my unobtainable wishlist!

Yes - Eupholus weevils look (and move) like tiny, hand-painted robots!  Here's another very neat weevil - Macrochirus praetor (Giant Malaysian Palm Weevil), which is the largest curculionid in the world, at over 90 mm.  Males have enlarged, hook-like front legs, and spiny projections on the snout.  The dorsal surface has a velvet-like texture similar to that of many cetoniine scarabs, and the ventral side is very glossy black.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:26 PM, PowerHobo said:

That is an extremely cool rhino! It reminds me of a dead leaf mantis in beetle form.

Right? I love the almost cardboard-like texture they have and their cute eyes and horn.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:57 PM, Goliathus said:

Yes - Eupholus weevils look (and move) like tiny, hand-painted robots!  Here's another very neat weevil - Macrochirus praetor (Giant Malaysian Palm Weevil), which is the largest curculionid in the world, at over 90 mm.  Males have enlarged, hook-like front legs, and spiny projections on the snout.  The dorsal surface has a velvet-like texture similar to that of many cetoniine scarabs, and the ventral side is very glossy black.

That species looks like the weevil equivalent of long-arm scarabs, haha. I think my favorite weevil species has to be the one with little red tips at the ends of their legs and I think they're called clown-shoe weevils.

• 6 months later...