Greetings from Ireland

robk

Hi all,

My name is Rob and I am from Ireland. Great to be here amongst fellow beetle lovers and I look forward to conversing with others.

I have studied insects for over 25 years, keeping and breeding mainly butterflies and moths along with beetles and various other insects.

I managed to build up a nice collection of dried insects during this time.

I took a break for a few years from my hobby as kids came along. Now the break is over and I cannot wait to get back in to it again.

It's nice to see how social media and forums have brought like minded people together and it sure makes it a lot easier, when I started this hobby first, there was no internet, it was all done by writing letters and waiting weeks for replies especially from exotic countries. We've come a long way.........

Anyway I'm looking forward to starting breeding of beetles as soon as I can. Hoping to start with some of the African Flower Beetles (M.polyphemus)

Rob

Hello, welcome to the forum! :) You should be able to get some pretty cool beetles, much less regulation when it comes to beetles over there.

Thanks Hisserdude for you welcome, I took a look at your blog spot, very nice scolopendra.

I kept one years ago. Pure predator, fast and vicious.

On the subject of regulation, l understand the difficulties of importing to the US especially livestock.

Do you have any idea on the current regulations of exporting either dried insects or livestock (larvae) from the US

Thanks, I love my Scolopendra too, he's beautiful, and it's fun watching him eat! :)

I believe it is just as difficult as importing, our stupid laws don't allow it. <_<

I already got very often livestock from the US and also sent very often livestock to the US and never had problems with customs (only one time a letter with Saturniid eggs took too long). Butterfly/moth and phasmid eggs are absolutely no problem. They can be sent in letters. But I did not only send/receive dozens of letters to/from the US, also small parcels have never been a problem. Hundreds of cocoons were shipped without any problems. I think the clue is to send small parcels. They are not very conspicious, especially as they might even be regarded as letters (this is the case when I send them from Germany and might be similar from other countries). I had only very few letters and parcels taking more than two weeks (average is about 7-10 days, which is absolutely acceptable for most insects).