Dynamic Uno

Hey all!

Very new to the invert hobby, I've been keeping snakes for a few years and had been reading up on tarantulas for a while until I stumbled on bugs in cyberspace a few days ago. I'm fairly certain my future holds some vinegaroons, tailless whip scorpions, death feigning beetles, several cockroaches, and many of my friends avoiding the house, haha. The sheer variety is blowing my mind and I now have a purpose for my old reptile enclosures!

Outside of hobbies I work at a boat yard, and I'll be going back to school soon to study biology and business, I'd love to open an educational outreach for herps and inverts someday.

Other than feeder crickets I don't have any non reptile pets at the moment. As a christmas present to myself though I'm thinking I'm going to get a handful of Therea olegrandjeani and see where it goes from there (torn between Gymnetis caseyi and Damon diadema). On a side note, I'm absolutely ecstatic to have a new topic to collect books on as well. I think of it as information hoarding xP

Probably won't post much for a while, lurking has always served me well, but I hope I can contribute eventually! (Would love to figure out breeding blue death feigning beetles with consistancy)

welcome!!! i never really had any luck on crickets... they smell bad annd they die a lot... im trying to switch to roaches but mom wont let me :o i have 3 vinegaroons and they are awesome very hardy

Thanks! I'm excited to pick up a vinegaroon or two in the future, they're so bizarre looking and seem easy to care for.

I don't breed the crickets at all. It's easier to just order 1000 at a time and feed them off slowly to our leopard gecko. They do smell pretty funky, biggest reason why I didn't want to get a bearded dragon for the longest time (though I'm slowly changing my own mind, haha). My die offs cut down significantly after I started using a frozen blended veggie/fruit/oat water source, so I'm going to experiment with different recipes and see if I might be able to improve on it. It's nice just to move the buggers to a new tub and dump out the frass. With all the plant matter we keep in the house for our iguana it's been a pretty cheap alternative to buying gutloads and gels (and less die offs makes me a happy camper)

YES ! Welcome Wishing you a jack of all trades and master of one thing. and what's up with this cricket thing anyway ? oh talk about cricket check this cricket out

post-4975-0-40957500-1356586114_thumb.jpg

post-4975-0-47020100-1356586129_thumb.jpg

Conspiracy against roaches, of course ;)

very funny message received.