Microtomus purcis

Lucanus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of life cycle do these guys have - do adults last over the winter or live longer than a year?

I've collected an old adult in winter before so I assume they can live longer than a year :)

I've seen both adults and nymphs during winter time by the way.

• 1 month later...

Some quick updates. Pic will follow in few days.

While I was gone to FL for 10 days, about half of the specimens I had got eaten by their siblings.

One adult, and one subadult nymph was given to my friend because he has a male that needs to mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful thread Lucanus. I see you feed your bugs well, on a steady diet of Panera!

And man you are brave, holding the adults in your hand!

I have never been tagged by this species so I don't know if they are all that bad (sounds like you do :D ), but I must say that I've been bit stung by scorpions and fire ants, bitten by tarantulas and Scolopendra, not to mention a huge arrange of other things - and the most acutely painful bite I have ever gotten was from a Reduviid.

Wonderful thread Lucanus. I see you feed your bugs well, on a steady diet of Panera!

And man you are brave, holding the adults in your hand!

I have never been tagged by this species so I don't know if they are all that bad (sounds like you do :D ), but I must say that I've been bit stung by scorpions and fire ants, bitten by tarantulas and Scolopendra, not to mention a huge arrange of other things - and the most acutely painful bite I have ever gotten was from a Reduviid.

Ya. All my bugs get nice chunks of breads from Panera. LOL

This species is quite docile so as long as you don't grab them, and let them crawl onto you, they won't bite :)

Wow, that's quite a large list of bugs to get bit by.....I've been bit/stung by lots of bugs too and I do agree that reduvids give the most painful bites

• 2 weeks later...