UK Beetle Newbie (Sort of)

Takoto

Hello!!

My names Luke, I'm from the UK; by day I'm an office worker, by night I'm an artist. Always been super into bugs, mostly moths and local spiders and snails. Always thought beetles were pretty cute/cool, but recently got super interested in scarab beetles and akin, which eventually spread outwards into dynastids (which I'm still learning about).

I was going to get a Japanese rhino beetle from a local place, as my girlfriend is super cool with bugs and we recently moved in together so it felt like a good time, did a ton of research... but ended up getting this dude instead;

tumblr_p2ke2oew9E1qe8z9do2_500.pngtumblr_p2ke2oew9E1qe8z9do1_500.png

If anyone can identify him, that'd be very, very useful. The place I got him from said they had no idea what he is (they just labelled him as "dynastid beetle"), but I'm guessing a three-horned rhinoceros beetle or something akin. I don't feel experienced/confident enough though to know for sure.

I really like beetles aesthetically, but I'm not 100% sure if I'll have the space to raise a bunch of them/breed them for a while... but who knows what the future holds.

My other interests include video games (mostly Pokémon, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, Touhou, things like that...), pigeons (both wild and domestic, though I don't own any due to space constraints), cosplay, and illustration!

Hi! Im a newb as well, but the beetles looks to be a member of the chalosoma (atlas) beetles. So it is a rhinoceros beetle! I have no idea the scientific name (it could be chalsoma atlas or chalosoma Chiron kirbyi) Im not really good at that stuff. Are you going to try and breed him?

Welcome welcome, and congrats on that handsome boy! I agree that it looks like a Chalcosoma sp, though I'm not very good at identifying to narrow it down, though it looks like maybe a minor C atlas. Chalcosoma caucasus and C atlas are two of my favorite beetles, but unfortunately illegal here. I'm very jealous of the opportunities available to you in the hobby being in the UK! Welcome again!

Hi! Im a newb as well, but the beetles looks to be a member of the chalosoma (atlas) beetles. So it is a rhinoceros beetle! I have no idea the scientific name (it could be chalsoma atlas or chalosoma Chiron kirbyi) Im not really good at that stuff. Are you going to try and breed him?

Welcome welcome, and congrats on that handsome boy! I agree that it looks like a Chalcosoma sp, though I'm not very good at identifying to narrow it down, though it looks like maybe a minor C atlas. Chalcosoma caucasus and C atlas are two of my favorite beetles, but unfortunately illegal here. I'm very jealous of the opportunities available to you in the hobby being in the UK! Welcome again!

Turns out ya'll are correct! I went back to the shop to grab some supplies, and someone was in who knew a little bit more about beetles than who was in beforehand. I suspected originally that they were an Atlas beetle of some sort, because of their colour and face, but I honestly thought Atlas' in general were much, much bigger, so ended up thinking they were maybe a three horned or something akin (even though the colouration doesn't match).

I think my favourite beetles are Goliathus goliatus (because their colour and patterning is just so cool) and Allomyrina dichotoma (really cool horn shape)!

Also, sorry to hear you can't have them, I have heard the US are super strict on insects and such (my girlfriend has African Land Snails and ended up looking up the laws on owning them by county and noticed the US are pretty eh with insects.