Wind scorpion care?

Hisserdude

I just caught a tiny wind scorpion and I would like to keep it. I assume it is a juvenile because of it's size ( it is like less than a centimeter long.) what should i feed it, what substrate should it have, moisture Etc. Thanks in advance.

Well... I'm not an expert on windscorpions, but I've read a few threads on their general care over at Arachnoboards.

Orin wrote a book with a section that covers the care of windscorpions, so I would defer to his expertise concerning the specifics.

However, until he sees this thread and comments on it, I might be able to render some initial help (and, hopefully, not lead you too far astray):

Since your windscorpion is so small, try feeding it flightless fruit flies and "pinheads" (very small crickets).

The substrate is usually a mix of sand, clay, and silt. There's a particular ratio to the mix, but, I can't remember what exactly it was. Sorry about that. You might try Googling around for the ratio. Also, I remember reading where some windscorpion owners where using a sand and peat moss mixture.

As for water, the windscorpion owners were placing a shallow dish in the cage and keeping it topped off every couple of days, or so.

I don't know what type of windscorpion you have, but the ones from Egypt require 70 percent humidity with a temperature of about 80-85 degrees F during the day and 75 degrees F at night. But, my gut instinct is that yours might do better at a slightly lower temperature.

Anyway, that's about all I can recall concerning the care of windscorpions.

Like I said, Orin should be able to help you out with the specifics.

Cheers

Like I said in another thread here - it all begins with understanding which species you have or at least where it came from.
Different species require different conditions.

The most common solifugids in the hobby come from Egypt or other parts of North Africa. However, since you said you collected this individual solifugid I am guessing it is from North America, and it might have completely different requirements from those of the African species.

Bill - may I ask where did you read that Egyptian solifugidae require 70 percent humidity? This is very wrong - I have kept old world solifugids for 10 years, and this is too wet even for Rhagodidae. That being said, maybe North American species prefer this kind of humidity.

[...]

Bill - may I ask where did you read that Egyptian solifugidae require 70 percent humidity? This is very wrong - I have kept old world solifugids for 10 years, and this is too wet even for Rhagodidae. That being said, maybe North American species prefer this kind of humidity.

Okay. After reading your comment, I was kind of wondering where I got that 70 percent humidity figure from, too. So, I went over to Arachnoboards and started re-reading a bunch of posts concerning solifudae. After LOTS of searching, I was beginning to doubt my humidity figure. However, I know I have a fairly decent memory when it comes to numbers and useless trivia, so I filled up my beer stein with some coffee and retraced my steps. This time, however, I started clicking on all the links contained in those threads.

Long story short, I FINALLY found it!

Sure enough, it was from a link left in a comment from Ragnu: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?123289-solifugid-care-sheet&p=1144454&viewfull=1#post1144454

The link sends you to a care sheet for G. granti as found on www.petbugs.com: http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/G-granti.html

Cheers

Thanks for the follow up, Bill.

This is very strange because in the Egyptian deserts where Galeodes is found, humidity does not even come close to 70%. I think it is safe to say that even underground it does not get so humid.
In addition, these arachnids do not drink water from a dish (unless there is a soaked cotton ball in there). They take most of their water requirements from their prey.

Could you tell us how many species and their longevity?

Philibugman, since you asked:

I never really identified some of them to the species level.

Galeodidae - Paragaleodes pallidus, Galeodes arabs
Rhagodidae - Rhagodessa sp.
Karschiidae - 4 different species

Plus one more that I never got to ID.

All had longevity of about 4 years in captivity. They seem to be active only one month per year, during which they will stuff themselves with food. Then they hide underground or under stones and wait for next year. Despite numerous attempts, I never succeeded in breeding them.