Any roach fans out here? lol

Lucanus

Thank you :)

If you come to southern states by chance, you'll find lots of nymphs of that species in woods :)

Awesome!

I'm way jealous, by the way, your collection is essentially every species I want and then some! I haven't got the room, but when I get my next place the sky's the limit! :lol:

I don't know why I love dubias so much, maybe it's a first love thing, as they were feeders for various reptiles and arachnids of mine. I hated feeding them to anything though and also tried to keep a few...then began my first colony.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!

I'm way jealous, by the way, your collection is essentially every species I want and then some! I haven't got the room, but when I get my next place the sky's the limit! :lol:

I don't know why I love dubias so much, maybe it's a first love thing, as they were feeders for various reptiles and arachnids of mine. I hated feeding them to anything though and also tried to keep a few...then began my first colony.

That reminds me of how I first got into roach hobby. About a year (maybe two) ago, I bought a box full of lobster roaches as feeders for my spiders and immediately fell in love with them after I saw them munching on the dog foods I provided them with. Since than, I've been working on getting variety of roaches (currently focusing on natives) to grow my culture :)

On the side note, http://www.roachcrossing.com is the best place to get variety of pet roaches within the US so if anyone is interested in buying pet roaches, I highly recommend this webpage :)

Oh I've been looking at

That reminds me of how I first got into roach hobby. About a year (maybe two) ago, I bought a box full of lobster roaches as feeders for my spiders and immediately fell in love with them after I saw them munching on the dog foods I provided them with. Since than, I've been working on getting variety of roaches (currently focusing on natives) to grow my culture :)

On the side note, http://www.roachcrossing.com is the best place to get variety of pet roaches within the US so if anyone is interested in buying pet roaches, I highly recommend this webpage :)

I've definitely frequented that site before, have yet to put together an order but where do I start?! :lol:

I'm currently having the same kind of relationship with isopods (pill & sowbugs primarily)...I fell in love with them as a very young child, and at 32 here I am finding them in the pet trade as feeders and "clean up crews." I bought 2 colonies from Peter, at bugsincyberspace.com (orange P. scaber, and O. asellus) and immediately remembered that love. So now I'm concentrating on the Philoscia sp. and Armadillidium sp. in my area. :)

Wow! You have a large collection! All I have are a few hissers ( though I plan on getting some horseshoe crab roaches soonish.)

I have purchased most of my roaches from Kyle ( roachcrossing ) and he is a very nice guy to buy from. :)

Oh I've been looking at

I've definitely frequented that site before, have yet to put together an order but where do I start?! :lol:

I'm currently having the same kind of relationship with isopods (pill & sowbugs primarily)...I fell in love with them as a very young child, and at 32 here I am finding them in the pet trade as feeders and "clean up crews." I bought 2 colonies from Peter, at bugsincyberspace.com (orange P. scaber, and O. asellus) and immediately remembered that love. So now I'm concentrating on the Philoscia sp. and Armadillidium sp. in my area. :)

I've started getting into isopods too so I'm looking for varieties of isopods in my area right now. Unfortunately, it seems that P. scaber, Porcellionides pruinosus, A. nasatum, and A. vulgare are pretty much all we have here in Montgomery :(

Wow! You have a large collection! All I have are a few hissers ( though I plan on getting some horseshoe crab roaches soonish.)

I have purchased most of my roaches from Kyle ( roachcrossing ) and he is a very nice guy to buy from. :)

Indeed! He is the best roach guy I've ever met online :)

What species of hissers do you own? I've G. portentosa right now and am getting E. laevigata and A. insignis next week :)

Unfortunately I do not breed roaches as of now, but I will in the future.

I have 1 normal hisser, 2 flathorn hissers and 1 halloween hisser.

Unfortunately I do not breed roaches as of now, but I will in the future.

I have 1 normal hisser, 2 flathorn hissers and 1 halloween hisser.

Cool! Hope you'll get a nice colony once you start breeding them in the future :)

What's the deal with the Rhinocerous Hissing Roaches (I think that is the name). I seen these go for $200 a pair a while back on an ad. Are these suppose to be extremely rare?

Ah...the rhino roach. They aren't too rare in the wild but the country where they live in (Australia) has very strict rule about importation/exportation of their wildlife so not many specimens get exported from that country (and I don't think anyone imports these guys from Australia anymore). Also, these guys take years to mature and breed so they aren't readily available in the hobby, which adds to their high price.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice roach variety here. I don't really have anything impressive now (Turkistan, dubia, and gold medal roaches), but I wouldn't mind expanding a bit in the future, especially with the variety on bugsincyberspace and roach crossing.

Starting with a nice size colony of Panchlora nivea. But in the next few days I've gotta beef up my collection for an upcoming show I'm doing. :) So I'll be looking at hissers, and most anything Blaberus. :D I so love roaches and really miss having them (I've only ever had dubias and maddie hissers).

Nice! Hope you get a nice collection going soon :)

I hope so too. Kyle was such a pleasure to deal with, I'm already planning my next order...I mean, I knew I loooooved roaches, but I forgot just how much. :rolleyes:

Nice! Can't wait to see what you'll get in your next order :)