Dynastes grantii

Ratmosphere

Male Dynastes grantii. Female would not stay still for a picture. She's in a breeding tank now with the male but isn't showing any interest in feeding. I put her face in beetle jelly but she just runs back and hides under the sphagnum moss. Since they're wild caught, do you think she already paired in the wild and is ready to lay eggs?

post-7986-0-53002900-1472851487_thumb.jpg

post-7986-0-21750800-1472851500_thumb.jpg

post-7986-0-68729600-1472851514_thumb.jpg

Nice specimen! :)

I believe the females mate and lay eggs before their initial flight, as well as after, so she's definitely ready to oviposit.

You think I should put the female into the rearing container? I have no idea on her age and I don't want her to go to waste.

Yeah, definitely put her in a cage with substrate suitable for egg laying asap, otherwise she might get too old to do so.

Hmmm, I don't know, maybe she's just old, or perhaps the substrate is substandard?

I'd put the male in her egg laying enclosure for a week, just in case, but I wouldn't move her from her container, if she does decide to lay eggs you don't want to waste anymore of what precious time she has left.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I witnessed the male mate with the female. Only the top of the substrate has been dug through. She surfaces daily for food and is getting so much slower. If I don't get eggs it's going to suck. I really overpaid for this pair and thought I'd make profit. Wish me luck! :wacko:

I would give your granti diluted Maple syrup for food. I have three tityus females that I collected back at the beginning of July and they feed exclusively on it. They refused peaches, plums, bananas, watermelon and anything else I've offered as long as they have the diluted syrup they won't touch anything else. I've collected around 160 eggs from them and they are still going strong! I've had the same results in the past as well. Good luck.

Looks like the female has been busy! So hyped! :lol:

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

Haha congrats man, that's amazing! :D Hopefully you'll have a bunch of little larva soon!

• 2 months later...