Do you name your beetles?

sus

I would imagine a lot of us do and I would love to hear them!

I have 3 beetle larvae but only one of them (d. granti) is named at this moment. I named her something really silly because I was just getting some suggestions from my friends and my friend who likes Naruto wanted me to name her Naruto SO that ended up being her name and I think its great. :lol:

No. People often ask me that when I am doing shows, but I have been through so many over the years I would run out of names. Possibly if they lived longer..

Fair point! You could name them the same thing over and over again though

Travis1 and Travis2 and so on

Well, Yeah, sorta, i guess. For example, for my darklings, i call them by their species--Eleodes hispilabris and Eleodes caudiferis ;)

Me too. I dislike anthropomorphism (except for occasional jokes).

But I think of them as individuals, and they are quite charismatic (though they are also quite boring).

I don’t usually, except for the occasional deformed, particularly large, or otherwise unique insect (like I have a horned fungus beetle named half-horn, since he’s missing half of one of his horns).

• 4 weeks later...

I once had a DHH larva that I named "Metalito". Metalito means "small, metal one" in Spanish, referring to the sheen of the elytra DHH posses.

My grandma saw the imago and suggested the name. He did not make it to adulthood, though, so RIP Metalito :/

Depends on the beetle, really. If they have some sort of defining characteristic, sometimes yes. I had an Eleodes that I named Mr. Skitters because he would freak right out when he got his feet dirty, and frantically scrape the sand off before bolting off around the tank. (Something was perhaps wrong about that one, LOL.)

Most bugs, though, just don't live long enough for me to feel good about naming them. My longer-lived things, though, do usually get names. I have a vinegaroon named Dozer, short for bulldozer because it likes to dig ALL THE THINGS. My camel spider is named Thanatos because it terrifies me a little. My violin mantis was named Stradivarius.