• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PowerHobo

PowerHobo

L2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Music, beetles, coding, 3D printing, propmaking, the list goes on.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hello, BeetleForum! Travis here, from Las Vegas, NV, US. I raised darklings as a kid, and my own daughter gaining some interest has breathed new life into my own. I've always loved rhinos and stags, but never really realized that they could be kept until recently, so here I am!

My daughter and I have started a colony of superworms, just like I did when I was her age, and they're already molting like crazy. She's having a lot of fun checking on them and hopefully learning some patience and diligence along the way (not that they take a whole lot of diligence to raise). We have an agreement that if she does well here we can start looking at some rhinos for her, though realistically she's helping me with mine already.

As for my own beetles: with some help and a ton of patience from Peter over at bugsincyberspace.com, I've gotten my supplies together and my first group of grubs growing all fat and happy. (2) D. granti and (2) enormous M. punctulatus.

I also have (1) male (profile picture) and (4) female adult D. tityus as of just yesterday, hoping to experiencing mating and some ova, which I'm more excited about than I feel like a 31-year-old man should be. :lol:

I have a lot of learning to do, and I'm looking forward to doing it.

Currently raising: Dynastes tityus, Dynastes granti, Megasoma punctulatus, Chrysina gloriosa, Zophobas morio

#2 Pewrune

Pewrune

Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

Welcome.

I'm over 30 and I'm excited about them everyday.

#3 Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere

Stag Beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Welcome!

#4 Stag Beetles

Stag Beetles

L3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:BEETLES, Photography, insects, wildflowers, rainforests, lizards, animals, Latin, art, Math, Algebra, Geometry, etc.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

Welcome!  And good for her!  Few girls are interested in insects/beetles--(believe me), lol!  My friends in school will run miles away from a beetle if they see one...

Add me on instagram: Lucanus__Kawaii, aka Eleodes hispilabris on Beetle Forum (this account I need to try to recover)...

IMG_2198.PNG IMG_2193.PNG IMG_2198.PNG

#5 Hisserdude

Hisserdude

Stag Beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:Keeping inverts, including beetles, (especially darkling beetles). Also gardening, reading, playing monster hunter and minecraft, and watching Doctor Who and MLP:FIM.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:48 AM

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here! :)

Darklings: Alobates pensylvanica, Coelocnemis californicus, Coelus ciliatus, Eleodes clavicornis, Eleodes hispilabris, Eleodes nigrinus, Embaphion cf. contusum, Embaphion muricatum, Eusattus muricatus, Meracantha contracta, Platydema ellipticum, Tenebrio molitor, Tenebrio obscurus, Tenebrionid sp, Zophobas morio. Ground beetles: Pasimachus sp. "Arizona". Click beetles: 1 Alaus melanops larva, Ampedus sp, Elateridae sp larva, Elaterid sp larvae, Melanotus cf. similis, Melanotus sp, Pyrophorus noctilucus. Also: A bunch of cockroach species, spiders, isopods, and a cat. For a full list of my invertebrates, See my blog! http://invertebratedude.blogspot.com/

#6 PowerHobo

PowerHobo

L2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

Thanks, guys! I've lurked here for a bit while I was doing my initial searching, so I'm pretty confident in this community. I've been able to answer most of my questions already just with forum searches :lol:

Currently raising: Dynastes tityus, Dynastes granti, Megasoma punctulatus, Chrysina gloriosa, Zophobas morio

#7 Dragozap

Dragozap

L3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

Yeah man, welcome to the forum!
I suppose your beetles just enclosed? And yes. I would be proud too. Honestly it is healthy to be so excited over such wonders of nature, so dont stress man!

#8 PowerHobo

PowerHobo

L2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

Yeah man, welcome to the forum!
I suppose your beetles just enclosed? And yes. I would be proud too. Honestly it is healthy to be so excited over such wonders of nature, so dont stress man!

Thank you, thank you! No pupation yet. I got my grubs from BIC, and I'm pretty sure I've got a year or two to go with them; I got the adult D. tityus from another source in hopes of being able to mate them, since BIC didn't have larvae for that species listed on the site.

#9 Dragozap

Dragozap

L3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Oh lol. Nice either way, hope they mate and give you the second generation :) Good luck with the grubs!

#10 PowerHobo

PowerHobo

L2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Fingers are crossed! Thanks!

#11 Peter Clausen

Peter Clausen

Beetle

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:Bugs bugs bugs bugs BUGS!

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:29 AM

Welcome, Travis!

Live Bug Supersite- http://BugsInCyberspace.com

Dead Insect Sales- http://DeadInsects.Net

0 user(s) are reading this topic