Found more!!!!!

Lucanus

Not that I know of, maybe you can discover one.

Once I get my second generation, I'm going to try putting female into a refrigerator for few weeks than expose her to warm temperature to see if this will work. Have you tried this method by chance?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried a number of things. For good production you would probably be best off cooling and conditioning the females for the proper time but since you seem to be able to find them easily you can always collect more if it does not work out.

After some thinking, I decided neither to trade nor sell this species to anyone due to my past experience with P. valgus (I lost my culture because I sold away my larvae without thinking ahead).

Sorry for those of you who are waiting to get this species from me.

After some thinking, I decided neither to trade nor sell this species to anyone due to my past experience with P. valgus (I lost my culture because I sold away my larvae without thinking ahead).

Sorry for those of you who are waiting to get this species from me.

I'm a very patient man. I can wait a few years. :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what you consider a "stable culture." Do you have a certain breeding program or number of grubs and larvae you keep?

I consider 30 specimens to be stable enough to continue breeding for couple of generations.

Nice,they're getting big. Wish they came a bit further north! Might have to make a trip south to collect a few over the summer...

They should be found in your area as long as there is a still-standing dead tree with cavity in your area. These guys are widely distributed.

• 1 month later...

Nice find!!

Interestingly, one of the females was feeding on her larva when I discovered her inside the tree cavity. It seems that females will occasionally eat their youngs in the wild sometimes.

I wonder how common this is in the wild. I have found nests with as much as 19 larvae or as little as 7.

It's probably very common.

It appears that females will stay with larvae and hibernate during this time to prevent eating all of her offsprings but when the weather warms up, females start to break out of dormancy and eat some of their offsprings.

2 adult females in the same nest! Good stuff.

So maybe there is supposed to be more than one female sometimes?

Ah...I forgot to clarify that the two females were collected from different trees.

One was collected in what appeared to be an ash tree. I found 15 larvae along with her.

The other one was in rotten pine tree. I found 2 larvae with her.

I know the feeling lol.

What is the measurement of the big girl? I have three adult females but one looks bigger than the other two. I haven't measured them yet.

If I remember correctly, it was around 43 mm :)