Dynastes tityus

Lucanus

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He looks great, word of warning though, some years back I was thrilled to rear the most massive and impressive D. tityus I had ever seen. I set him up with a bunch of females after he was old enough to feed and a few weeks later I noticed a dead female. I looked and she had not died a natural death. The male had to have used his horns to smash the base of her legs into her thorax. The other females had holes and dents all over their elytra. I got rid of him and the surviving females fast and set up some smaller males.

He looks great, word of warning though, some years back I was thrilled to rear the most massive and impressive D. tityus I had ever seen. I set him up with a bunch of females after he was old enough to feed and a few weeks later I noticed a dead female. I looked and she had not died a natural death. The male had to have used his horns to smash the base of her legs into her thorax. The other females had holes and dents all over their elytra. I got rid of him and the surviving females fast and set up some smaller males.

That reminds me of this massive grantii I got this year that killed my female. From now on, I'm not going to keep male and female together and will only let them mate when I'm watching.

That monster is beautiful!! Is the red it's final colour?

Thank you :)

Red isn't its final color. Color will gradually change from red to gray to dark gray to almost black and eventually, you get the nice yellow specimen.