Goliathus - it has happened !!

Substrate composition is unimportant after about two weeks from hatching - any dirt should work (as long as it doesn't have fertilizer or other chemicals) or coconut fiber.

The container size changes with the size of the larvae. You would need a container that gives the grub room to turn but not much more.

And just to confirm this I keep seeing people mention coconut fiber is this the same substrate that would be used for lizards and comes in the compressed bricks?

Yes, same stuff - AKA "Coir" or "coconut husk"...

As larvae they eat only protein and will starve without it, so you can keep them in almost any substrate as long as you feed them well.

Oh, also, you would need to feed them protein way before L2 or you will end up with small adults.

@Beetle-Experience, how do you think chick feed would work for Goliathus? It's high in protien, at least 20% crude protien, and it's corn based, like most dog foods.

It might work. The fish pellets I was using were 40-something percent I think.

Hmm, looks like some experimentation is in order lol! :D I didn't think my Pyrophorus larvae would like the chick feed, they also need a high protein diet, and I was feeding them mostly cat food, so far they seem to be eating the chick feed though, to my surprise! So maybe Goliathus would like them too, hmm...

Beetle-experience some of the things I have seen say they are picky about what their will build their pupae in was there anything special you have used for when they get to that point?

You need a layer of real dirt (not wood flakes) at them bottom of the container. Goliathus likes to build harder pupa cells with real dirt. Maybe they feel safer that way? and maybe they don't want to be eaten by their meat-loving brother and sisters :P.

Jonathan Lai's book have a section on Goliathus.

• 1 month later...

So from what I gather (I've been gone for months jeez) the three species of Goliath listed above are now 100% completely and totally legal to own and transport in the USA (without a permit), and you can import them alive if you have an import permit?

And Betle-experience recommends that you get a PPQ permit even though they're already legal just in case you have some kind of issue while acquiring them?

I'm just trying to summarize this so that it's easiest to understand.

Also just a quick question, you say that the states individually can cause us trouble, would that mean some states completely banning them regardless of what APHIS/USDA says (like pet skunks or foxes for example)? And if so do you have a list on what each state says about the legality of owning them?

I apologize for all these questions I just got around to reading and checking up on the boards.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sentence 1 is all correct.

Sentence two is mostly correct but: when you submit for a permit for the three species in question, you don't receive a permit - you would receive a letter stating that you do not need a permit. This is just to cover everyone until word gets around and everyone else is aware of the new status.

Sentence 3: Yes, states can have final say on what is allowed in their state. No, this just went through basically when I posted the first info on this - not many states would have even heard about this yet. I just came from a conference in AZ where I presented on breeding them, and the only people there who had heard about the new status were the people I had already told.

OK, sentence 1 is all correct.

Sentence two is mostly correct but: when you submit for a permit for the three species in question, you don't receive a permit - you would receive a letter stating that you do not need a permit. This is just to cover everyone until word gets around and everyone else is aware of the new status.

Sentence 3: Yes, states can have final say on what is allowed in their state. No, this just went through basically when I posted the first info on this - not many states would have even heard about this yet. I just came from a conference in AZ where I presented on breeding them, and the only people there who had heard about the new status were the people I had already told.

Thank you, that clarifies everything up for me. And thank you for submitting so many things to USDA to get them legalized!

• 4 weeks later...