Gymnetis caseyi

Lucanus

Awesome!!!!!!!!!! I find these flying around late in the summer sometimes. Do the larvae live in the ground or in wood?

Looks like they have successfully established themselves in FL (one of the comments on bugguide states that these aren't native to FL). It would be great to collect some and rear them :)

I've read from somewhere that larvae of this species have been found in rotten moss in a hollow tree :)

That is one fine looking Gymentis! I want to see it when the true colors set in.

Looks very similar to a species that I am currently keeping (Gymentis chevrolat). They seems to be very easy to breed.

Me too! Can't wait for the beautiful yellow markings to show up on the body!

Sounds like care for G. chevrolati wouldn't be too different from G. caseyi since G. caseyi is easy to breed as well :)

Looks like they have successfully established themselves in FL (one of the comments on bugguide states that these aren't native to FL). It would be great to collect some and rear them :)

I've read from somewhere that larvae of this species have been found in rotten moss in a hollow tree :)

That is strange they are not listed in FL. I found one live specimen in my backyard one afternoon. The rest were always found dead during the day near light posts.

That is strange they are not listed in FL. I found one live specimen in my backyard one afternoon. The rest were always found dead during the day near light posts.

Around 2003, someone in FL posted a pic of this species on bugguide that was collected from FL. Since then, more and more images of specimens from FL started to show up. Interestingly, there's a speculation that these were introduced into FL by beetle hobbyist.

Wow!!!! The red one is just stunning! I gotta catch one at this stage in my G. chevrolat breeding and photograph.

Thank you :)

Not sure if you know this info already so I'm going to post it here. When you get cocoons from this species, I would recommend drilling a tiny hole just enough to make a pupa barely visible and check the hole everyday to see if the specimen has emerged. That should allow you to catch one at a teneral stage :)

Hoping to see some cool photographs from you :)

• 4 months later...