Found more!!!!!

Lucanus

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Dang, Lucanus, you just had a L. elaphus emerge, founds some more P. valgus larvae in your enclosure, and now your P. truncatus eggs have hatched! May my weekend be as awesome as yours!

Cheers

Fingers crossed that you will :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you :)

Any luck with your specimens?

Sorry for the late reply. I released many of the adults back to the area where I found them as larvae just to focus more on other projects I have going on. I did however record data of my larvae and their journey to adulthood.

Sorry for the late reply. I released many of the adults back to the area where I found them as larvae just to focus more on other projects I have going on. I did however record data of my larvae and their journey to adulthood.

Had to do same with most of mine as well. Only kept two pairs for breeding, and they bred for me.

Hopefully, you'll get another chance in a near future :)

They were pretty abundant in my area so I had to stop collecting. I kept checking oak stumps for D. tityus larvae but when I would find truncatus I would carefully place them back and cover up the stump again.

That reminds me of my experience of last year's collecting. Tried finding D. tityus larvae in my area, but only P. truncatus showed up. At one point, I found some fecal pellets on a pine tree so I was certain that I have found D. tityus larvae only to be disappointed at seeing a female truncatus with three L3 larvae. LOL

At one point, I found some fecal pellets on a pine tree so I was certain that I have found D. tityus larvae only to be disappointed at seeing a female truncatus with three L3 larvae. LOL

Same thing happen to me at two different pine trees. The larvae had not made it to the center where the wood had not decayed. But they were all on the outer 4-5 inches of it where the wood had decomposed into suitable food for them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...