3 replies to this topic

#1 Verolazico

Verolazico

Ovum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:22 PM

Hey guys, came across 6 iron clad beetles and Ill attempt to breed indoors. I have some info about them but does anybody have experience with these ?

#2 Bugboy3092

Bugboy3092

Beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Beetles, kinda why I'm here.

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

They supposedly need rotten logs to breed (I think) I’m no sure if anyone has really bred these. What species are they?

#3 Hisserdude

Hisserdude

Stag Beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:Keeping inverts, including beetles, (especially darkling beetles). Also gardening, reading, playing monster hunter and minecraft, and watching Doctor Who and MLP:FIM.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

True ironcalds need rotten wood or shelf fungi for the larvae to feed on, very few people have gotten theirs to oviposit, and the numbers of larvae always seem to be in the single digits.

I don't think one person has reared ironclad larvae to maturity, could be wrong on that though...

And the adults also need lichens or shelf fungi to feed on as well.

#4 Verolazico

Verolazico

Ovum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:06 PM

Luckily for me I also do mycology. Ive found various hose fungi with their beetle living on it and so far Ive been able to clone (not yet fruit, just started doing this) and get the mycellium onto agar so I can effectively put any fungi into their enclosure to hopefully aid in the breeding process

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users