Newly emerged Strategus aloeus male

Lucanus

Beautiful. Any tips on these? My cousin has some larvae he believes to be Strategus and he finds aloeus more than antaeus. It's kind of odd because he is in Florida. They aren't known to be more common than antaeus there. Guess it's just the area he is in!?

Beautiful. Any tips on these? My cousin has some larvae he believes to be Strategus and he finds aloeus more than antaeus. It's kind of odd because he is in Florida. They aren't known to be more common than antaeus there. Guess it's just the area he is in!?

Hmmm... Is he in northern part of the Florida? I haven't seen any record of S. aloeus from southern Florida but they seem to live in northern part.

Larvae prefer compost piles so if you found them in the compost pile, than use that compost pile as the substrate. Also, put some pieces of dead wood so that larvae can munch on it. They can be reared in similar way as Dynastes tityus :)

I would love to see the pictures. Can you post them on this board?

I'll take some of mine and get him to take some as well. It could be a misidentification though. I'll get him to photograph his male and ill get the females.

Is this one?

Or is it Splendens?

100_4473-1.JPG

I'll take some of mine and get him to take some as well. It could be a misidentification though. I'll get him to photograph his male and ill get the females.

Is this one?

Or is it Splendens?

100_4473-1.JPG

It is really hard to see which species this is but the abdomen shape appears to resemble more of the splendense male. But I am not really certain.

Do you have more pictures? I need to see the underside as well

No I've seen none of these here. But I have no luck with strategus In my entire life. It's strange, I never see them. I'll send more pictures soon.

Thanks for helping out, I'll get back to ya.

BREAKTHROUGH! THEY DO GET IT IN CENTRAL FLORIDA! There is a record from Lakeland, which is very close to Winter Haven and I collected there when I was visiting to tell you the truth, a few times. Bout 30 minutes away.

A MINOR MALE

From bugguide:

XQ3RKQJRYKK070CQ80CQ80FQJKTQZQDQ20OR60DQ60R0W0S0U03RMQ0060L0P0YR7Q00U0DRU0DR6000E0H0U0YR.jpg

ANOTHER specimen which is not from Lakeland I just wanted this view:

ALKZPLYLVL7ZDLMZWLHZNLYL6L0ZTLERDLMZCLIZLH2RCL4RDLIZQH2R3Z3LTZZZYZYLYZQRLH6R.jpg

My cousin found a minor male aswell...

100_6244.JPG

BREAKTHROUGH! THEY DO GET IT IN CENTRAL FLORIDA! There is a record from Lakeland, which is very close to Winter Haven and I collected there when I was visiting to tell you the truth, a few times. Bout 30 minutes away.

A MINOR MALE

From bugguide:

XQ3RKQJRYKK070CQ80CQ80FQJKTQZQDQ20OR60DQ60R0W0S0U03RMQ0060L0P0YR7Q00U0DRU0DR6000E0H0U0YR.jpg

ANOTHER specimen which is not from Lakeland I just wanted this view:

ALKZPLYLVL7ZDLMZWLHZNLYL6L0ZTLERDLMZCLIZLH2RCL4RDLIZQH2R3Z3LTZZZYZYLYZQRLH6R.jpg

My cousin found a minor male aswell...

100_6244.JPG

First two pictures are misidentified specimen of S. antaeus. You can tell that by looking at their elytra. If you look through bug guide, you can find some misidentified species in the guide. lol

I can't see if the last male is S. antaeus or not. I need much better picture.

Maybe that was wrong but I just got some female specimen pictures...

I'm sorry but you can't deny the fact that this is not antaeus and most likely not splendens by the thorax shape.

Compare the TX specimen to the Florida one.

TEXAS SPECIMEN

ELQZDLHZ6LRZNLFLBL5ROLMZ0H8RKHERJZIRFZ3L9LHZULLZCZIRPLLZFZ0ROZ8RBLKZ1LMZNLYL.jpg

CENTRAL FLORIDA SPECIMEN

100_6246.JPG

Maybe that was wrong but I just got some female specimen pictures...

I'm sorry but you can't deny the fact that this is not antaeus and most likely not splendens by the thorax shape.

Compare the TX specimen to the Florida one.

TEXAS SPECIMEN

ELQZDLHZ6LRZNLFLBL5ROLMZ0H8RKHERJZIRFZ3L9LHZULLZCZIRPLLZFZ0ROZ8RBLKZ1LMZNLYL.jpg

CENTRAL FLORIDA SPECIMEN

100_6246.JPG

You can't determine whether this specimen is splendense male or aloeus female by looking at the thorax. Haven't you seen the picture of the male of splendense? You have to check the genitalia or the shape of the abdomen and elytra.

Why isn't there any closeup pictures? It is really hard to determine the species by looking at this distance.

Hmmm... Thanks so much for this paper it clears a lot of things up. I guess that since it is not Aloeus it must be splendens. It has no resemblance to Antaeus. Oh... and the reason why the pics are not close up is cuz i didn't take them. My cousin did. Sorry bout that! I only have 3 Floridian strategus pinned. I have 2 Antaeus and 1 splendens.