Dytiscus sp.

Lucanus

Awesome! I've been looking for diving beetles for a while, hopefully I find some come spring. I didn't know these were popular in South Korea, are they pretty successful with breeding?

CA has lots of interesting diving beetles so hopefully you'll find some cool species in your area :)

Diving beetles in genus Cybister are one of the popular pet insects in South Korea so there are lots infos and successful breeding reports on them available online. Dytiscus however, are very rare in South Korea (the fact that they are usually collected in areas near DMZ zones makes them harder to obtain) and as far as I know only 3~5 people in South Korea have kept them in captivity (and the person I'm going to ask is one of them).

Hopefully, I have a list but the hard part is getting to the right places at the right times.

That's really interesting, I didn't know pet insects were popular in South Korea. I knew they were popular in Japan, and crickets are common in China and Vietnam, but I wish they were more popular here.

Is there any information in English about rearing or breeding Cybister, I have had 3 in a tank on my windowsill for the last 9 months but unfortunately do not speak Korean.

Your Dytiscus larvae should eat anything small and live added to the tank - it will need to pupate on land when fully grown.

Is there any information in English about rearing or breeding Cybister, I have had 3 in a tank on my windowsill for the last 9 months but unfortunately do not speak Korean.

Your Dytiscus larvae should eat anything small and live added to the tank - it will need to pupate on land when fully grown.

Unfortunately, I don't have any english version of breeding guide for Cybisters, but if it is about not getting eggs from your adults I would suggest using water hyacinth for oviposition (I would recommend placing at least 10 plants in the tank).

I'm waiting on a container for setting up an environment suitable for raising larvae and pupation. Hopefully, it will arrive soon and I'll be able to work on it before my larvae mature :)

Cool find! In the summer I see huge swarms of driving beetle on the Wekiva River near shady spots free from sunlight.

That sounds awesome! Would love to see pics of them swarming in ponds :)

Do you plan to breed some in future?

ah! :( that sucks,sorry for the loss,what couldve happened?

I'm actually not sure what happened here. The left front leg that was a bit out of its place started turning dark and than rest of the body turned black within a day :(

oooh! very nice :) dytiscus rock,they look good sized,hmm wouldn't mind having a few.

Mine are about 20 mm ish in size; smaller than the Cybister sp. I have, but are still larger than most diving beetles I see in my area. lol

If you search for vernal pools in your area, you might be able to find some :)

That sounds awesome! Would love to see pics of them swarming in ponds :)

Do you plan to breed some in future?

Just saw this message now. I didn't have plans on breeding them though I haven't read up on it either. I will try to get some good pics. I was in the river a few weeks back and saw a swarm under a tree hanging over the river.

Mine are about 20 mm ish in size; smaller than the Cybister sp. I have, but are still larger than most diving beetles I see in my area. lol

If you search for vernal pools in your area, you might be able to find some :)

cool! thanks for the info,yeah ive got cybisters here in fla.i don't think fla has dytiscus,but the cybisters arejust as awesome :)

cool! thanks for the info,yeah ive got cybisters here in fla.i don't think fla has dytiscus,but the cybisters arejust as awesome :)

Any chance you live close to this area?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/238271

I totally agree on Cybisters being awesome. They are one of my fav. diving beetles in the US :)