can dogs be trained to find beetles?

i am going to look at this in a positive way, i hope so.

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thought of this. lol

I've seen a video of researchers using dogs to locate rare box turtles to survey the size of the population (that's where I got my inspiration from) so perhaps this method can be used for locating rare bugs too!

Oh and if I get a chance to do this, I would get a bloodhound since I've read that they have amazing tracking ability.

My next dog is going to be a hunting dog, I want it for a deer dog, hog dog and most importantly I want to train it to find D. tiytus, P. truncatus and a few other beetles.

I want to thank everyone who answered, I feel like this is great!

I believe my decision was completed after I read all these positive responses.

Anyone have any ideas on good names to for this beetle hunting dog? Also what breeds do people think are best suited for my needs?

I want to avoid beagles because I heard they howl, I also need a dog that can handle a large boar.

Here in Florida, boar hunters that I've been with use dogs called cur dogs.

Also I prefer two syllable words for a dog name, they are supposed to be the best to use for working dogs.

My next dog is going to be a hunting dog, I want it for a deer dog, hog dog and most importantly I want to train it to find D. tiytus, P. truncatus and a few other beetles.

I want to thank everyone who answered, I feel like this is great!

I believe my decision was completed after I read all these positive responses.

Anyone have any ideas on good names to for this beetle hunting dog? Also what breeds do people think are best suited for my needs?

I want to avoid beagles because I heard they howl, I also need a dog that can handle a large boar.

Here in Florida, boar hunters that I've been with use dogs called cur dogs.

Also I prefer two syllable words for a dog name, they are supposed to be the best to use for working dogs.

I think you should look into "truffle sniffing" dogs. Their is a wide variety of breeds that can learn, like retrievers and all. But there are definitely a few breeds that excel at it (I don't know what breeds though).