Beetle/Larvae hunting! Almost time!

With spring approaching and warmer weather permitting us insect and beetle lovers to have more of a chance of capturing larvae and beetles, what methods do you use? I myself will be attempting to use lighting techniques as well as using the lights from Home Depot (part time job) to capture some specimen this year. Last year I found three male Dynastes tityus and one Lucanus male just in the garden center of Home Depot. I also plan to travel to the Appalachian mountains and stay about 3-4 days and set up some light traps there. I am hoping for some good results. As for larvae hunting it should be a bit easier as I notice a lot of them surface more near the top soil than in winter and fall. Has anyone had luck actually finding the larvae of Granti or Tityus in the wild? Let me know! I want stories and information on different techniques and ways to use the approaching weather as a humongous advantage on our parts! Looking forward to the great reads! B)

I usually go to this apartment at night in June where Lucanus capreolus and Strategus aloeus come at night as well as other large beetles :)

I've had three occasions of collecting D. tityus in the wild. All of them were extracted from tree cavities of standing trees.

Tree cavities? Sounds lucky I found one in my compost last week unfortunately dead, it seems like a raccoon got to it :( I'm very excited for this spring and summer to approach as I have acquired an enormous amount of information via books and this forum :) What time do you typically collect? I plan to do it from 9pm-1am to allow enough time to capture some specimen. Also, have you ever tried using sap or soda in order to lure out beetles???

What time do you typically collect? I plan to do it from 9pm-1am to allow enough time to capture some specimen. Also, have you ever tried using sap or soda in order to lure out beetles???

I usually go out at 9 pm and stay till 11.

I've tried using fruits as baits but they always got eaten by birds and other wild animals. lol

• 2 months later...

I leave out a container of smuckers strawberry Jelly under a lamp When the sun Begins to Set. Here in Massachussetts we get very few species but I have caught a lot of L. Capreolus (like 5 per night) some grapvine beetles occasionally and once a D tityus female (no idea where she came from).