Marbled salamander

Lucanus

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Such a beautiful animal!

mutrok, hope yours does ok. Sounds like it had some bad things happen to it :(

I found it at the perfect place for a salamander, basically salamander haven... but this guy was dry and far from the water... also getting attacked by tiny ants. I just took him home to help him a bit. When he was crawling around again I let him go to his little home again.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Great pics and great find! Always an exciting discovery (I've found maybe 2 myself, among the 1000s of other newts and salamanders I've found, caught, or reared over the years)

Indeed! Even though these guys are semi-common in my area, finding one always excites me :)

Awesome! Salamanders are one of my favorites. I use to remember going to the pet store every week to see if they have some waterdogs (salamander larvae) for sale.

Same here. Salamanders are pretty much the only amphibian I like. lol

I've never seen salamanders in pet stores before. Would be quite interesting to see some in my local pet shops :)

I rarely see salamanders in stores, mainly just newts and even that is rare (and mostly just fire belly at that). Think I may have read in my states code that axlotls are illegal which is a bummer...I love all amphibians, but I think it's safe to safe salamanders are top of the list.

I bet we all love salamanders for at least this one reason...constantly finding them when we over turn logs looking for bugs! That's my 2 cents anyway! :P

P.S. Found a two lined salamander living in my back yard yesterday. First finds of the season are always special, no matter what the species, it's a sign of things to come!

Same here. Salamanders are pretty much the only amphibian I like. lol

I've never seen salamanders in pet stores before. Would be quite interesting to see some in my local pet shops :)

Salamanders were my favorite animal growing up. And they were rarely offered in the pet trade. Now that I've moved on from salamanders they show up at many pet stores around here. Figures lol

I rarely see salamanders in stores, mainly just newts and even that is rare (and mostly just fire belly at that). Think I may have read in my states code that axlotls are illegal which is a bummer...I love all amphibians, but I think it's safe to safe salamanders are top of the list.

I bet we all love salamanders for at least this one reason...constantly finding them when we over turn logs looking for bugs! That's my 2 cents anyway! :P

P.S. Found a two lined salamander living in my back yard yesterday. First finds of the season are always special, no matter what the species, it's a sign of things to come!

Many salamanders and newts here for sale are native one so they are probably being collected. I bought greater sirens and an amphiuma from a local collected. He said he would spend hours waist deep in muck and water and searching through hydrilla plants just to find them. I could not do that with the hoards of alligators here.