The Ultimate Guide to Breeding Beetles, Coleoptera Laboratory Culture Methods

Dynastes

UltimateBreedingBeetlesCover.JPGThis will be the ultimate expression of the complete guide to breeding beetles series. The book is a compilation in large format and full color. The text includes updates to the rhinoceros, flower, stag, jewel, dung, darkling sections and a new chapter on less commonly kept groups like diving, carrion, tiger, bess, glowworm, and click beetles. Over 300 color photos. 206 pages. Softbound. Of course this isn't a review yet since the book won't be ready to ship for a few weeks.Elytra and Antenna Books

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some copies today actually. I'm happy with the large format and quality though a small number of the photos are fuzzier than I hoped. Of course the purpose of the guide is to provide a source for consolidated real life culturing information since there are plenty of photos online.

Nice design! Could you upload(or send me through email) some scanned image of pages of the book? I would like to show it around at the Korean web pages.. that related to beetles...

I don't have any scanned images but the publisher's page will have some when it's up which should be very soon (the "release date" is today). One neat thing about this book is the way it's published it can be ordered from book depository. If the hobbyist is in New Zealand, South Africa, China, Japan, most of Europe, and many other countries, it would be shipped free (it would cost me $10-$17 to ship one copy overseas).

Fantastic!

Hey Orin, are they ever going to offer a hardcover on these?

Sadly I don't think there would ever be enough copies sold to make that even a vague possibility.

Hi Orin, hard covers don't cost that much extra. You'd be surprised. I import print from china to the uk and its very cheap to buy. My guess is that it would only be an extra 2$ at the most per copy. Depending on how many you get printed. It's always a shame to put some quality stuff in a softback, i think the hardbacks always feel better in the hands.

Bummer. I have enjoyed the series so much that it would have been nice to see a proper culmination to it. I'll be looking forward to getting it, and digesting all the info as I read and apply.

It is full size 8 x 10 and full color, it's a pretty big and heavy book.

It's gargantuan by comparison.

Hi Orin, hard covers don't cost that much extra. You'd be surprised. I import print from china to the uk and its very cheap to buy. My guess is that it would only be an extra 2$ at the most per copy. Depending on how many you get printed. It's always a shame to put some quality stuff in a softback, i think the hardbacks always feel better in the hands.

If only it were that simple or cheap I'd be happy to pay a lot more than $2. These aren't made in China.

;) You should have looked at china maybe, you can get a lot of book for little money.

Maybe if you ever do another it would be worthwhile, B)

Even if I didn't care about people in my own country working the initial investment is hardly worthwhile for a niche book that might never sell enough copies to break even. I hope that if you ever make something you're excited and proud of that nobody will make silly requests and impossible suggestions in an attempt to rain on your parade.

Even if I didn't care about people in my own country working the initial investment is hardly worthwhile for a niche book that might never sell enough copies to break even. I hope that if you ever make something you're excited and proud of that nobody will make silly requests and impossible suggestions in an attempt to rain on your parade.

Hey, it was only an innocent suggestion, and yes, I've published and wrote many of my own books (9HB, 8SB ;) ). I know the feeling, i was only suggesting, that's all.

You should easily sell enough copies to break even.

I hardly think anything i wrote was an 'impossible suggestion', i know how much print costs, i probably know a hell of a lot more about it than you, i was only saying that's all.

Good luck with your book, i will certainly be buying a copy and i look forward to reading it. No need to get all defensive about it.

I hardly think anything i wrote was an 'impossible suggestion', i know how much print costs, i probably know a hell of a lot more about it than you,...

Not impossible? What would you do throw away any books in print, throw away the ISBN and any agreements, invest at least $20,000 or more in printing and shipping 1,000 new books, and pray you could sell them in the next decade? There's even more to it than you realize but mostly the problem is finding someone sitting on a load of money interested in investing in a loss. I wouldn't mind investing in a loss but maybe that's why I don't have an extra twenty thousand laying around. Would you be willing to invest the money and store and sell the books to prove it isn't truly impossible?

Hey Orin, it was a suggestion for the next book, that's all.

Please don't read anything malicious into it, it was just an idea. That's all.

There's not more to it than i realise, it's what i do for a living Orin. Its what i live, breathe and sleep. B)

Just going back to the original point,. no ones saying anything bad about the book at all, people just gave their idea's that's all. I honestly think you are taking this the wrong way. hey, no need to be like that, good luck with the book and , like i say, I'll be getting one no problem about that! I'm sure it's a damn sight better than anything i could ever hope to write about beetles.

Hey Orin, it was a suggestion for the next book, that's all.

Please don't read anything malicious into it, it was just an idea. That's all.

Feel free to post a link to one of your books. I'm not sure it would feasible for any books of this type without a large unwaranted initial investment. This is something I do for love of the hobby, if I were doing it for money I would have quit before I started but I'm also certainly not going to try to borrow tens of thousands of dollars I can't pay back. If you have resources for investment and marketing of this genre I'm all ears.

I didn't say your comments were malicious, but they certainly were neither considerate nor helpful.

There's not more to it than i realise, it's what i do for a living Orin. Its what i live, breathe and sleep. B)

You don't think pretending to know everything about a genre you admit you don't know and circumstances you can't know is maybe a tiny bit presumptive?

OK I give in.

Hope the book goes really well.

I'd rather you gave out (than gave in ;)) useful marketing suggestions. The book isn't likely to go at all well. I like to blame it on general lack of interest in the subject matter but were I to have marketing knowhow I might well find that theory disproven.