Gymnetis caseyi pupating!

Popped open the container with my three Gymnetis caseyi larvae to freshen up their substrate, and three pupal cells rolled out instead. Oh boy. :D Guess now I have a bunch of leaflitter substrate for something else! I took a quick picture of one of the cells and then popped them back into the container and covered them up again with the same substrate -- is there anything else I need to do? I think they're done with the turning into a pupa part, as I could sort of hear something solid in there when I moved them.

This is my first time raising larvae and my first ones to pupate, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. (I'm curious to see the actual pupa but I don't want to risk hurting one by accident by poking around to try and open a cell.) Should I put them in a different container or just let them be so they can do their thing? They pupated within the last three weeks but I'm not sure exactly when so I'm not sure how long it will take them to emerge. Will they crawl to the top immediately or spend time burrowed in the substrate? There's plenty of leaf litter left in there for them to nibble on if they're going to stay buried for a while.

I'm so excited! I have two adult flower beetles already so I'm happy to have three more soon and maybe get a little breeding colony going. Thanks for any advice!

post-8459-0-03867800-1476762186_thumb.jpg

(Yes, I'm silly and wear gloves to dig around in the dirt, haha.)

• 1 year later...

Would like to briefly resurrect this older thread to see if @arizonablue has figured any of this out, or if there are others to help with questions about timing and handling of pupal cells. I don't have cells yet but my first G. caseyi came to me rather large so I'll have to be facing this stuff pretty soon ^_^ Thanks!

Would like to briefly resurrect this older thread to see if @arizonablue has figured any of this out, or if there are others to help with questions about timing and handling of pupal cells. I don't have cells yet but my first G. caseyi came to me rather large so I'll have to be facing this stuff pretty soon ^_^ Thanks!

I decided against opening any of the cells, put them back in the same container, and about a month later the beetles emerged on the surface. :)